Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2011 Gt premium I bought in March. I went to the gas station today to fill it up for the second time, only had 365 miles on it. I intended to put 91 octane in as that is what is recommended. Apparently my choices were 87, 89, 93. I put in 93 octane. I'm not asking because i think damage will occur, I'm just curious. What do you use? Obviously if you have an octane specific tune I'll assume you use that, but what if you can't get the specified octane, is it better to go with increased or decreased octane fuel?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Welcome to the site, Congrats on your new GT :yup: I use 93 octane but I have a ( Cold Air Intake & Performance tune ), I think 93 would be just fine for general use but would be better with the for a mentioned modification, enjoy & good luck :yup:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
You can put any octane in you want; you won't notice the difference. Just don't put in crap like Arco or anything like that.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Your car will run fine on any octane level but makes it's rated power only with 91 or 93, makes slightly less on 87.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have a 3.7 and just turned 1300 miles. I've used a couple of tanks of 87 and had mixed some 93 with 87. I am letting it run down to go with a full tank of 93. I dont expect any power rush from it, but I do get a bit of pinging with the 87. I want to see if 93 will help

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can put any octane in you want; you won't notice the difference. Just don't put in crap like Arco or anything like that.
Nope, I'm OCD. I only use the Shell station one mile from my house. It's the newest and cleanest. No crap gas for me!

I use to go to the BP by my house. I went one time and topped off the tank on a dual sport motorcycle I had. I put 2.5 gallons in it. I took it home and parked it for a couple of days. When I went to start it I couldn't keep it running except WOT. I dropped the bike off at the mechanics shop. He called me and asked if I possibly filled it with diesel. I asked him how much diesel did he find in the tank, he replied about one cup. Impossible, I never put a cup of fuel in it so unless its got 2.5 gallons the gas station screwed up. A hundred dollars later after they drained the tank and cleaned the carbs it ran perfect like it always did.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nope, I'm OCD. I only use the Shell station one mile from my house. It's the newest and cleanest. No crap gas for me!

I use to go to the BP by my house. I went one time and topped off the tank on a dual sport motorcycle I had. I put 2.5 gallons in it. I took it home and parked it for a couple of days. When I went to start it I couldn't keep it running except WOT. I dropped the bike off at the mechanics shop. He called me and asked if I possibly filled it with diesel. I asked him how much diesel did he find in the tank, he replied about one cup. Impossible, I never put a cup of fuel in it so unless its got 2.5 gallons the gas station screwed up. A hundred dollars later after they drained the tank and cleaned the carbs it ran perfect like it always did.
First off, as was already stated you can run any octane you want. The owners manual states any is acceptable, but you will loose 10 HP going from High to Low.

Now as far as gas stations. Most Gas is piped into a central starage facility where it is distributed to the stations. For Instance here in Atlanta, the fuel comes out of New Orleans through a pipeline to Atlanta ( and all the way to New Jersey) That fuel is stored in tanks. As the trucks come to fill up to take to the different "manufacturers" they are all given the same fuel. The only difference is the additives that are put in the fuel. Some have more, some have less. I will let you determine what you think, but I was told by the pipeline that the additives are over and beyond what is necessary in some cases. His recommendation was to fill up anywhere you felt comfortable. The biggest contamination in fuel comes from the inground tanks at the stations. When I asked him where he filled up, it was at QT gas stations, one of the cheapest in ATL. But I have a few different stations I hit.

You will get many suggestions for octane and locations to get gas. When it comes down to it, all the different gas is safe to use in your GT.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Shell 88 octane.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Always use 93 octane to make sure I get the max performance out that great 5.0 engine.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Here in the Denver area you cannot get anything greater, at least that I have found more than 91 octane unleaded with 10% ethanol…
The only ethanol free higher than unleaded 91 can be found at Bandimere drag way… 100 and 104…
What I have found the 100 seams to make less power by the seat of pants dyno… I have not ran and do not intend to run the 104 straight… I normally try to mix seven gallons of 91 and five gallons of the 104…
This gives me 96 to 97 octane for the 12 gallons…
104 is selling for 8.35 a gallon… 4.05 for the 91… so cost is 5.78 a gallon… No improved gas millage…

This is my second tank... It does help a little in 1/4 trap speeds.. I pick up 3 mph with the 96 octane blind...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just FYI to anyone who doesn't know, octane is a measure of a fuel's resistance to igniting. High octane gas not inherently a more "powerful" fuel, but since it is less likely to detonate or "knock" the engine can be tuned more aggressively. Obviously the computer in mustangs is detecting the octane(or probably just using the knock sensor) to use more aggressive timing when it can which is why you can run 87 but will still benefit from 91. In old pre-computer performance engines running a low octane fuel actually posed a risk of engine damange from severe detonation. Fortunately, we don't have to deal with that now.

Using higher octane fuel than your car is designed to use is a waste of money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh yeah if you have a tune, then its whatever the tune was designed to run. I'll just call that redesigning the car a little bit. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.