Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 GT.

I was wondering what grade of gasoline you other GT owners put in your car? I have read that certain cars (like my snobby friend and her Mercedes) require Premium unleaded. My manual indicates that I should put in no less than 87 but nothing higher is needed and in fact I believe it counsels against putting in a higher grade.

If it's actually better for my engine to put in 87, with gas prices the way they are, I'm all for it! I've been putting in 89 since I've had it.

My usage is an everyday car, not to race it or anything. Any thoughts out there on what grade to use?

G

·
Use 87 octane unless you start to hear it ping. Then move up a notch. Use what is recommended from the factory until you really start modifying your car.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Mana4Real said:
Use 87 octane unless you start to hear it ping. Then move up a notch. Use what is recommended from the factory until you really start modifying your car.
I agree with Mana.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yeah go with the cheap stuff unless you hear the pinging. Then move up to mid-grade. In the summertime I try to alternate between the cheap stuff and premium because I'm running a little bit lean and I know it's going to knock if I use straight 87.

G

·
I just wanted to add. Don't listen to the people that say the lower octane gas is "watered down." It's a bunch of BS. Most gasoline now a days is pretty good quality. The octane rating has nothing to do with quality. All the octane has to do is how easily the gasoline ignites.

G

·
Mana4Real said:
I just wanted to add. Don't listen to the people that say the lower octane gas is "watered down." It's a bunch of BS. Most gasoline now a days is pretty good quality. The octane rating has nothing to do with quality. All the octane has to do is how easily the gasoline ignites.

Im with stupid ^^^^^^^ LOL j/k..yeah go with 87. Thats all i ran until i got my tune now i have to run 93!! :weeps

·
Registered
701 Posts
Stock GT:

87 Pings
89 Only pings on very high temperature Days, only on certain occations
93 is great but to expensive.

Question to all of you guys:
What did you pay this morning at the pump?
I just payed: 3.09 / 3.19 / 3.29 !!!
Stupid Hurricanes...

·
Registered
364 Posts
My 02 runs just fine on 87. I've never heard it ping.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I used to run 87 on my 2002 GT until i got it tuned now i have to run 93, but i never did hear a ping or anything with the 87

·
Registered
20 Posts
Generally better octane fuel will eliminate pinging...but the usual reason for pinging is a lean mixture...a cheaper alternative would be to make sure your MAF is clean...a dirty mass air flow meter will make the engine think there's less air than there really is...causing a lean condition...maybe 50 cents worth of deep creep and 10 minutes is worth the gas money saved?

G

·
Burntrose2 said:
Generally better octane fuel will eliminate pinging...but the usual reason for pinging is a lean mixture...a cheaper alternative would be to make sure your MAF is clean...a dirty mass air flow meter will make the engine think there's less air than there really is...causing a lean condition...maybe 50 cents worth of deep creep and 10 minutes is worth the gas money saved?
Cleaning the MAF is a great idea. It can help with pinging. I know a few more tricks. but don't have the time to get into it... Maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
That's pretty much why I have to keep higher than 87 in the tank. The last time I dyno'd the A/F ratio was low to mid 13's so until the temperature cools way down, I'm trying to keep around a 90 octane mixture in the tank.

G

·
BlueStreak03 said:
That's pretty much why I have to keep higher than 87 in the tank. The last time I dyno'd the A/F ratio was low to mid 13's so until the temperature cools way down, I'm trying to keep around a 90 octane mixture in the tank.
If you took your AFR after the cats, it's not all that accurate. Just wanted to help you out.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
It was taken at the tailpipe because I didn't have the extra cash to shell out for wideband O2 sensors. I know for a fact it is lean though, I lost 25 lb-ft of torque and 15 rwhp the second time I had it dyno'd

·
Registered
14 Posts
get premium 87 (from a quality gas station). If you use a high grade octane than what the car is tuned for (factory 87), you are either masking a problem or wasting money.

If you are pinging, consider a tuner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
one thing i do sometimes...i might spell this wrong, but i use touluone?!? paint thinner in mine on occasion, about half a gallon a tank should do..no more pinging then. it's up to you to determine if it's cost effective as it does boost the octane.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.