Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna do the car's first oil change soon. Just curious as to what oil and filters you guys use...and on a car with 52K is it worth it to go with synthetic? Advance is running a special right now, $34 for 5 qts of Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter, which is a hell of a deal (I know I'd need an extra quart). Of course, they have their store brand 5 qt jugs of oil for $13 right now as well, and I've mostly always used Purolator or Motorcraft filters anyway.

:headscratch:

·
Registered
145 Posts
ive always run castrol gtx and a fram filter never had any issues with it so i stick with what works lol:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mobile 1 and Fram; always have always will. I'm of the school that synthetic is always worth it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've been using Motorcraft filters and Motorcraft synthetic oil, 5w 20. My manual specifically says to use synthetic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I were you I would buy the Mobil special, they make very good oil and filters. Stay away from the storebrand oil :bigthumbsup

The oil and filter I use? Depends on the car

The 'stang gets Royal Purple 5W-30 and a K&N filter
The Escape gets 5W-20 Motorcraft and either a Purolator or K&N filter
and the Expedition gets 5W-20 Motorcraft with a Motorcraft filter.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It's always funny to me that people will spend the extra money for a good synthetic, but will then grab the cheapest oil filter they can find. :?::?::?:

For me it's only Mobil1. Oil and filter:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I only use Motocraft oil and filters.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well if you love your Mustang as much i love mine..

Ford racing oil filter M6731FL820 (CJ's Pony Parts is the cheapest place to get it, and its on sale right now $13.56)

And..

Mobil 1 Synthectic 5W20 (Walmart is the cheapest place to get it)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
$34 for 5 Qts of Mobil 1 on Special, I get it from Wal-Mart for $28 Everyday and usually cheaper.
I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and a (Castle) Oil Filter, I dont know if any of you Guy's ever heard if Castle Oil Filters but there Good and dont have the Cardboard inside that can fall apart. I used to use a Mobil 1 Oil Filter, there just as well built:bigthumbsup
Also not only does a Good Quality Full Synthetic Oil and Filter make a Big Difference, it makes a Bigger Difference on how long you wait inbetween Oil and Filter Changes.
I'd only go 3,000 Miles between changes no matter if I was using a Semi-Synthetic Oil, a Full Synthetic or even a Regular Oil. It's the Blood of your Engine and if you treat it right, it'll treat you right:winks
I change mine every 1500-2000 Miles, it's as Clean as New when it comes back out:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
218 Posts
PLUS- Synthetic is good for anyone with 4.10 gears.
Higher reving engines could really benefit from the reduced break down advantages of synthetic over conventional oils.

I sounded like a commercial right there..:yup:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mostly Quaker State synthetic as it is often discounted in these parts with Napa Gold (WIX) filters. I avoid Fram filters at all costs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
About every two to three months, Advance Auto or the Autozone near my home has a sale on 5+ quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter for less than $35. I get 5w-20 when it's on sale, and store it until a change is due. Mobil 1 makes very good quality oil and filters.

A great forum-based website for oil and many other vehicle related topics is BITOG or Bob Is The Oil Guy. I visit daily and it is very active. Check it out! Tom

-----------07 GT Vert------

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Motorcraft filter and oil (syn blend 5-20 per manual)

Just make sure you change it (every 5000 miles per manual) :bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 35 Posts