Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok what oil is in my 2012 mustang gt,is it the synthetic blend or the full synthetic,i am going to have my dealer change the oil for the first thime at 1000 miles ,then at 2000 miles i am going to change it again ,with mobil 1 full synthetic.but now i need to top it off ,it has 300 mile now

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Yeah really? Why are you stopping at the motor oil? Why not change the fluids every 1000 miles in the radiator, brake, clutch, tranny and differential?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are free,and every car i have bought new ,and motors that i have rebuild i have done it that way,and i have had no problems

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good point???? maybe i need to re think this

·
Registered
937 Posts
I was told by the Dealer that it is a Synthetic 5W-20.

Motorcraft􏰀 SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine.
SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
No offense, but times have changed. In the case of mass production of internal combustion engines times have changed for the better. The tollerances of today's motors as well as the machines that make them are near perfect. Not only is a break in nearly unnecessary, but metal shavings are a thing of the past. In the 1970's ok change your factory oil in the first 1000 miles. Today you're just wasting oil as well as your money.

·
Registered
536 Posts
they are free,and every car i have bought new ,and motors that i have rebuild i have done it that way,and i have had no problems
Yes, but there are just as many vehicles that have not had the multiple oil change when new treatment and are running just fine. Think of the thousands of fleet vehicles on the road that get the bare minimum of service and even then, it's with the cheapest lowest grade stuff and they spin hundreds of thousands of miles easy.

I don't disagree with an early oil change but I also don't think it's necessary. Think of the impact on the environment you needlessly create in waste oil that must be recycled/disposed of properly.

·
Registered
536 Posts
As usual your dealer is only half right. The fact that it has blend on the label says it's only half synthetic, or maybe even less?
Although it may vary between brands, syn blend does not mean 50/50 conventional and synthetic. Syn blend means a mixture of conventional and synthetic usually with conventional being the more generous portion.

With all that in mind, I have still read very good things about the Ford 5w20 motor oil, it's very good stuff. I also don't believe in synthetic unless you're forced induction, live in extremely cold temps where a low temp pour is important, or you plan on stretching the oci's out. With a new car and a warranty to keep happy, #3 should be out.

Once my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee is outta warranty, I plan on running synthetic in that with 15k to 20k oci's with maybe a new oil filter every 5-10k, depending on a uoa.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't like the idea of the extra wear created during start up after change. Unnecessary wear. My wife's benz was 13K intervals using mobil one factory specs.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I though there was an addative in the car new to help break in the motor. Changing the oil will remove this, not sure if this is true or not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I though there was an addative in the car new to help break in the motor. Changing the oil will remove this, not sure if this is true or not.
I'd heard the same thing.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The way I see it is oil is the life blood of the engine and it is inexpensive enough to do a first oil change at 1000 miles. I understand that the tolerances in new engines are much better than ever before, but spending $30-40(do it yourself) in an oil change isn't a waste of money. I feel that despite the owners manual or instrument panel telling you oil life left, I feel more comfortable changing my oil every 5,000 miles after the initial oil change.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
It's from back in the 70's when it was a practice. They stopped adding break in oil about the same time OEM equipment excluded 8 track tape players.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The way I see it is oil is the life blood of the engine and it is inexpensive enough to do a first oil change at 1000 miles. I understand that the tolerances in new engines are much better than ever before, but spending $30-40(do it yourself) in an oil change isn't a waste of money. I feel that despite the owners manual or instrument panel telling you oil life left, I feel more comfortable changing my oil every 5,000 miles after the initial oil change.
My thoughts exactly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts