Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What parts do I need for a Head Swap?

55K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  GTRaptor 
#1 ·
What are all the parts need to do a head swap? Do you need the cams from the PI head too? Just wondering what if takes for material to get the job done from start to finish. Thanks

#2 ·
what vehicle are you planning on the head swap. the 02's already have PI heads. The PI head swap is for the 96-98 4.6 SOHC. the 96-98 models had restrictive heads and the 99+ model years it was fixed. this is why the HP increase. also putting 99+ heads(PI heads) on a 96-98 will increase the compression so SC'ing will be out of the question.

#3 ·
hmarv347 said:
what vehicle are you planning on the head swap. the 02's already have PI heads. The PI head swap is for the 96-98 4.6 SOHC. the 96-98 models had restrictive heads and the 99+ model years it was fixed. this is why the HP increase.
Are the part different for the different years 96,97,98?? Let's just say a 97.

#4 ·
96-98(Romeo) have the same crappy heads........99-00 have one style PI Heads(Widsor) and 01-03 have a different style(Romeo)........the 99-00 take different style valve covers. So if you are putting a used set of heads on go with the later version. They are a pretty much a straight swap, there are other things you have to switch as well on the 99-00 style but I can't remember(I went with 02's with 3Kmiles)........You will have to go with a different intake as well(go with no later then 02 because they have to all aluminum crossover)........If you need anymore info I'm here and been through it.........:D

#5 ·
mustangjeremy said:
96-98(Romeo) have the same crappy heads........99-00 have one style PI Heads(Widsor) and 01-03 have a different style(Romeo)........the 99-00 take different style valve covers. So if you are putting a used set of heads on go with the later version. They are a pretty much a straight swap, there are other things you have to switch as well on the 99-00 style but I can't remember(I went with 02's with 3Kmiles)........You will have to go with a different intake as well(go with no later then 02 because they have to all aluminum crossover)........If you need anymore info I'm here and been through it.........:D
Can you use your stock cams or do you need PI cams? Cam Sprockets? Timing chain tensioners?

#6 ·
stock cams or do you need PI cams......I have heard they do interchange but I don't I wouldn't try it....... Cam Sprockets......they are the same......... Timing chain tensioners........same

#8 ·
I actually read somewhere(I don't remember where) that you can put PI cams into non PI heads........Not sure if you can or not, anyone else here that...........

#9 ·
So basically all you need are the PI heads and PI valve covers and most likely a set of PI cams and retainers. Are the lifters and rockers interchangable as well?

G
#10 ·
mustangjeremy..yes u can put PI cams into non PI heads, i hear they are good for about 15 horsepower or so, dont know exctly tho, but there have been people i talked to on here that did that, i am thinking about just doing that for now, and maybe porting my heads with pi cams..or maybe just pi cams

#11 ·
I have my old set of heads and I can even port them for you if your interested............25K miles on them and look brand new..........

#12 ·
driftpin,......you need

Heads(Complete)yes your lifters and rockers r the same
Cams
Intake
The Coolant Tube Under Your Intake
A rubber 90 elbow(for the tube)
T-Fitting for You 2 sensors on the front of the engine(the PI Intake only has one hole)
Gaskets(Heads,Intakes,Valve Covers,3 Frt Cover Gaskets,Might be some small ones I'm missing)
Headbolts
Plugs,Thermostat

That should be the main list.........anything else let me know

#13 ·
mustangjeremy said:
driftpin,......you need

Heads(Complete)yes your lifters and rockers r the same
Cams
Intake
The Coolant Tube Under Your Intake
A rubber 90 elbow(for the tube)
T-Fitting for You 2 sensors on the front of the engine(the PI Intake only has one hole)
Gaskets(Heads,Intakes,Valve Covers,3 Frt Cover Gaskets,Might be some small ones I'm missing)
Headbolts
Plugs,Thermostat

That should be the main list.........anything else let me know
Thanks

#18 ·
mbhmustang1998 I could work something where I will buy yours back from you once you get your ported ones on.......that's how I do my ported intakes I sell.......

#19 ·
Looks like I can pick up a set of used complete heads, gaskets(all ford),bolts,hardware(tube,elbow,and even fitting), and intake for around $1100.00........can save you a little then going with new......like 1998gt said Parkway Ford sells a kit for $1300.00 but I'm not sure if it gives you everything..........I would check with them to see what all it includes.........I just gathered up some prices to help you out......

#22 ·
to the best of my knowledge the parkway kit is all inclusive.

i bought one of parkways first kits back when they were $1100 and it didn't come with valve cover gaskets. aside from that it came with everything i needed short of oil/coolant. this new kit includes the valve cover gaskets so you should be set.

-derek

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.