Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a 1993 2.3L stock mustang. I want to convert the 2.3L to a turbo 2.3L. Does anyone know where to ge a turbo kit? What cars would be compatible with my '93 2.3L? Ive been lookin on ebay but have not seen to many. What other parts would I need to make my mustang a turbo mustang? Any info or sites would be greatly appreciated. So far i been on stinger-performance.com and turbo-mustang.com.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I'm bookmarking this because I would like to know as well .

·
Registered
14 Posts
in theory,your MAF sensor will work on the intake side of a turbo
but the down side is it a duel plug DIS and has no timing adjustment.
so unless you have a EEC tuner you will need to convert to an SVO
computer and harness or a Murkur(say mer-coor) computer and harness.
Both of these have a vane airflow meters.(I think this is correct but somebody let me know if it is not) You will also need a turbo
and exaust manifold(or header), intercooler ( a modified one out of
a 99 powerstroke will work),All tubing, bolts, fasteners, and wiring.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
good info . anyone know of a site with parts interchange info ? Were the svo mustangs injected or carbed ?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Fordgazm said:
good info . anyone know of a site with parts interchange info ? Were the svo mustangs injected or carbed ?
The SVOs were all FI, 1984, 85, 85.5, and 86.
You will need a turbo block to accomodate the turbo, due to the oil return from the turbo.

Don't hack a perfectly good SVO for your build. Only 9,400 or so were ever produced, and there were tons of T-bird Turbo coupes made that will accomodate your needs.
Pick an '87 or '88 with the big VAF meter and put a K&N 3" cone tpye air filter in front of it, an LA3 computer, get an E6 exhaust manifold, a 3" downpipe, the ECU harness, and an IHI turbo (including the wastegate and housing. this will house the bung for the O2 sensor). You will need the O2 sensor solenoid, and an EGR solenoid. I recommend an intercooler, but that is usually installed on the TC in those years.
Make sure the ECU harness matches the year of the engine, VAF, and Engine sensors. Along with that, use the 35 lb injectors (brown top-low impedence).
You will also need a different gas tank to accomodate an EFI system. Include the entire fuel system to include: high pressure electric pump(s) to accomodate the fuel requirements of the turbo or it will run lean and detonate, fuel lines, wiring harness(s) for the pumps, relay, and inertia switch. You will also need the fuel purge canister for emmisions, not to mention that the tank vent has to vent the fumes somewhere.
Then there is the control system for the radiator cooling.
To really help things along, you will need the exhaust to go with that, and I recommend a 3" which can run $700.00 and up.
I may have forgotten some things here, but that is the most of it.
I would say you could do the conversion for a few grand, conservatively.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Thank you for the info .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.