Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1986 mustang LX V6, but there no engine and I have a 5.0 engine from a 1992 mustang GT. I need to know what's parts will fit universally or with little fabrication into the 1986 from the 1992. ie: interior such as seats, dash and gauge cluster, and the center console. Exterior will stay the same so that's not an issue. Just needs a new front end. And will the engine drop right in? or will I need different motor mounts? And will the ones from my 1992 work? I would like to know anything that I can swap from one to the other. Any info will be greatly appreciated. :) thanks in advance.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
636 Posts
You will need the 5.0 or 2.3 k member. The v6 k member is unique to the v6 only. Most interior parts are interchangeable, including the dash/center console.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You will need the 5.0 or 2.3 k member. The v6 k member is unique to the v6 only. Most interior parts are interchangeable, including the dash/center console.
Sorry, The v6 k-memeber is just fine. You must be thinking of the INLINE 6 k-member! it is unique! My car was a v6 and I put a v8 in it...

In all other ways you should change over all the wiring for the 92 5.0 into the 86 body. Everything should be interchangeable I would think besides the body from doors to front? If the interior pieces don't fit you could easily make them work.

You should put the bigger rearend out of the 92 into the 86. It will have the smaller 7.5 rearend being that its originally a v6 and the v8 will have the 8.8. Besides the brakes lines routed differently it should be the same unbolt-bolt.

Same as exhaust one of the hangers is used to hold the brake line but since your using a different rearend and the brake lines are different you can take the brake hanger off and uncover your exhaust hanger.

Should change the spindles to the 87+ new spindles(I think they have bigger brakes?) They use a different strut than the 86 and older thats supposed to be better for future upgrades.

Pretty much... Just keep the body of the 86 and the rest is swapable

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info, can anyone tell me if I can swap the windshield too? It needs one cuz it doesn't have one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts