Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 65 mustang i6 and ill be changing it to a v8. I am going to buy a 4 link and i wanted to know what rear end I should go with and can go with because it sounded like you weld on your own brackets with a 4 link. If thats the case can I just get like a cougar rear end with posi and it will work. More info needed please and if there is a specific car that will work the best for the swap let me know please. Either 8.8" or 9" rear end obviously. Thank you

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I just got a 65 mustang i6 and ill be changing it to a v8. I am going to buy a 4 link and i wanted to know what rear end I should go with and can go with because it sounded like you weld on your own brackets with a 4 link. If thats the case can I just get like a cougar rear end with posi and it will work. More info needed please and if there is a specific car that will work the best for the swap let me know please. Either 8.8" or 9" rear end obviously. Thank you
Go with a 9" trac loc differential and a 3.50:1 gear ratio.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The rear end from a Cougar would be too wide and the spring perches will not line up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well do the spring perc matter because the 4 link has coilover spring shocks built into the 4-link. I have a 85 mustang rear with 3.73 and posi if i do a 4 link will that rear end fit???

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Why do you want a 4 link for? Unless your building a drag car i would pass on it.If you want handling a 3 link with a watts link will out handle it any day.How much power you gonna have under 300hp a 8 inch is fine over 300hp you need a 9 inch and be ready for sticker shock.The 8.8 is ok but over 300hp you need to build it up id go for a 9 inch its stronger and if you build it right you won't break it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 347 stroker victor heads and 10.5 to 1 compression. I have some power but im trying to find out if say i do a 3 link, does it have its own mounting brackets you have to weld on the rearend so it no longer uses the fatctory mounts. If you have to do that work then my built rearend from my 85 i will beable to use because i just weld on the brackets and call it a day.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
There is about 3 different 3 links this one comes with a 9 inch housing and sun frame connectors Total Control Products this one comes with a 9 inch housing too RRS :: Classic Vintage Ford Mustang Disc Brake and Coil Over Strut Kit :: Vintage Rack and Pinion :: Rear 3 Link this one you have to weld the upper mount on top of the housing rest can be bolt on EvM Vintage Mustang Watts Link/Trilink, Rear Suspension - $2,844.95 : Evolution Motorsport, A Mustang Performance Company for the 8.8 and you'll have to weld it all on Griggs Racing Products and here is what the rear looks like Silver '66 GR-350 Street

1 - 7 of 7 Posts