Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious to know what kind of rpm range everyone on here likes to shift at when doing daily driving in the city?

What would be the ideal rpm range to shift on a stock gear GT to achieve maximum fuel efficiency while getting through all 5 gears with some decent pull in city driving.

I always wondered about this and looked around for a thread, but found nothing.

So everyone post up what rpm range your shifting at for daily driving (not your range for ripping a new tincan hole on the Honda next to you, lol).

And if anyone knows the best rpm range to shift for maximum fuel efficiency please post!!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
174 Posts
im doing 11mpg!!! so forget fuel effeciency for me LOL! then again i don't have to worry about gas prices :bigthumbsup
i know this has nothing to do with your thread but i thought i'd share that with ya....

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
im doing 11mpg!!! so forget fuel effeciency for me LOL! then again i don't have to worry about gas prices :bigthumbsup
i know this has nothing to do with your thread but i thought i'd share that with ya....
Thanks! You're all heart!:D

I shift by sound in city driving. I don't even look at the tach.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jeebus.... thanks for putting that in our faces, lol. j/k. :shigrin

your so kind for sharing.....no really.:shigrin:laugh:

to be honest if gas was cheap.... i would getting single digit mpg, LOL and prolly blow my motor by now too! and a need a whole new set of other parts on the car... sometimes high gas prices keep your right foot very calm!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shift at the lowest RPM that still makes the tires chirp.
(Company pays for my gas)

jee another rf mustang imitador in the thread... no ones taking my thread seriously... all you free and cheap supplied gas user, LOL!:shigrin

on a side note... that rocks that your company pays for your gas!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Shifting advice

I get around 14-15 MPG city in my 91 GT with a five speed. I know that we are not comparing apples to apples but I try to get out of first gear as quickly as I can. First only gets you so far anyway. You may get better mileage if your car can start in 2nd. My GT is modified a bit and has enough torque to pull me out of 2nd so I generally do that. As for a shifting range, just remember that the higher the rpm's you pull in the lower gears will make for worse gas mileage. My GT has a pretty good pull above 1500 RPM's in most gears. Around town our speed limit is 35 on the main roads and I do that in 3rd at around 2000 RPM. I would shift into 4th but it bogs a bit.

Obviously, the quicker you can get into 5th on the highway is the quicker you will get your mileage will increase. I know this might not seem related but my grandmother has a late-model Bravada with and instant mileage data screen and if you leave the car in 1st or 2nd and punch it, the mileage drops off. The sooner you get into the higher gears, you immediately see the mileage go up on the computer readout.

Like I said, 3rd or 4th are good around town gears that have plenty of pull to get you around without too much delay while delivering good mileage. Keep in mind that I do warm up my car for a few minutes before I leave and I run the defroster and/or heater on the way to work so mileage has dropped off a few MPG's since last summer.

Hope this helps!?!?!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get around 14-15 MPG city in my 91 GT with a five speed. I know that we are not comparing apples to apples but I try to get out of first gear as quickly as I can. First only gets you so far anyway. You may get better mileage if your car can start in 2nd. My GT is modified a bit and has enough torque to pull me out of 2nd so I generally do that. As for a shifting range, just remember that the higher the rpm's you pull in the lower gears will make for worse gas mileage. My GT has a pretty good pull above 1500 RPM's in most gears. Around town our speed limit is 35 on the main roads and I do that in 3rd at around 2000 RPM. I would shift into 4th but it bogs a bit.

Obviously, the quicker you can get into 5th on the highway is the quicker you will get your mileage will increase. I know this might not seem related but my grandmother has a late-model Bravada with and instant mileage data screen and if you leave the car in 1st or 2nd and punch it, the mileage drops off. The sooner you get into the higher gears, you immediately see the mileage go up on the computer readout.

Like I said, 3rd or 4th are good around town gears that have plenty of pull to get you around without too much delay while delivering good mileage. Keep in mind that I do warm up my car for a few minutes before I leave and I run the defroster and/or heater on the way to work so mileage has dropped off a few MPG's since last summer.

Hope this helps!?!?!
yah i pretty much do all of those things too... i was just more curious what everyone else is doing... as you can see AFM is full of car nuts that shift at 6000rpm :shigrin

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
The RPM’s you are running the car at are less of a factor than how much throttle you are giving it. It’s not a one dimensional solution. There are multiple events that make up your MPG.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The RPM’s you are running the car at are less of a factor than how much throttle you are giving it. It’s not a one dimensional solution. There are multiple events that make up your MPG.
Ni idea what's best for fuel economy. But like Stl I normally shift by sound. Generally I think if it gets over about 2500 I up shift and if it falls below 1500 I downshift.

·
Registered
276 Posts
One of my co-workers justified WOT acceleration up to his desired speed as more fuel efficient than slowly accelerating because he was taking advantage of the engine's volumetric efficiency.

I wish I could take credit for that one!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of my co-workers justified WOT acceleration up to his desired speed as more fuel efficient than slowly accelerating because he was taking advantage of the engine's volumetric efficiency.

I wish I could take credit for that one!
interesting stuff indeed! a different perspective for sure!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm never below 4,000 RPM at any speed. I shift at high 4,000's normally and at 5,900 when stabbing it. Mileage doesn't matter but sound does! I bought this car for fun!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i suppose i didnt post a answer to my question... so i will... im usually shifting in daily driving mode around 2500-3000 rpms i would say.... i dont look down but if i ever do im usually in that range.

·
Registered
210 Posts
yeah some times i even shift at like 2200, but you just have to read the feedback your car is giving you. I know when i cant up-shift, unless i want to face the embarrassment of stalling. haha.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Usually closer to 2500 than 3000. I don't normally get into 5th before about 50 mph. The book says the minimum for 5th is 40 mph.

Frank

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I usually shift betweek 2,000 and 3,000, trying to have a little fun while getting decent gas mileage. I drive about 75 miles a day, 3/4 highway 1/4 city and usually get 24-25mpg. Although sometimes there is just no way to keep it under 3,000rpm, or 4,000......... or 5,000..........:gringreen

·
Registered
434 Posts
Heavy traffic, 2nd at 10mph, 3rd at 20mph, 4th at 30mph, 5th at 40mph. The rest of the time in normal traffic with normal driving conditions I get to 40mph with 1 less gear. I usually get over 18mpg with minimal highway cruzing(averge speed 29mph).

My .02

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.