Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm needing some new rear shocks for my mustang, the factory ones with 149k and lowering springs are shot. I work at O'Reilly's, i was thinking about just buying some good monroe shocks from there since i get a good discount, or maybe the bilstein quads from Steeda that are $84.95 for a pair. What do you guys think? I'm putting 3.73s in it this week too if that makes any difference. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just threw some Koni STR.T's in my 03 GT (also lowered). I'm pretty satisfied with those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those probably aren't very inexpensive though are they? I'm doing it on a budget because i'm paying for a gear change in my Camaro and now doing one in my mustang too

·
Registered
133 Posts
they're actually really cheap. im runnin those in the back theyre great for the price. dont go with monroes if your lowered:nono:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Koni STR.T's are around the same price as quality Monroes or Tokico HPs, but twice the dampening and a better warranty. That's an excellent recommendation.

Stay away from the KYB GR-2's as well, they're complete crap especially on lowered cars.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
our Strange 10-ways are $125/pair with the forum discount, and they're a nice budget shock, but there are cheaper shocks out there. :)

1994-2002 Ford Mustang Strange 10 Way Adjustable Shock S6004LM - UPR Products

Also since you're lowered, when you go to replace your struts you can switch to Fox struts (87-93 fitment) since they are a direct bolt on, but a little bit shorter than the SN95 struts.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
our Strange 10-ways are $125/pair with the forum discount, and they're a nice budget shock, but there are cheaper shocks out there. :)

1994-2002 Ford Mustang Strange 10 Way Adjustable Shock S6004LM - UPR Products

Also since you're lowered, when you go to replace your struts you can switch to Fox struts (87-93 fitment) since they are a direct bolt on, but a little bit shorter than the SN95 struts.
Strange 10 ways are not a good shock for someone who's worried about handling, they're geared towards being able to be loosened up enough to drag race on, and tight enough to be safe on the streets. They don't dampen as well as a good gas charged shock.

And the using Fox struts for a lowered car is Snake Oil. There's no benefit to running a shorter strut on a SN95 that's lowered 2.5" or less. There's a very good thread on Corner Carvers about the subject filled with engineers and Road Racers on that exact subject.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Strange 10 ways are not a good shock for someone who's worried about handling, they're geared towards being able to be loosened up enough to drag race on, and tight enough to be safe on the streets. They don't dampen as well as a good gas charged shock.

And the using Fox struts for a lowered car is Snake Oil. There's no benefit to running a shorter strut on a SN95 that's lowered 2.5" or less. There's a very good thread on Corner Carvers about the subject filled with engineers and Road Racers on that exact subject.

They handled great on my car!! :bigthumbsup (DISCLAIMER: I don't think the OP is running N.A.S.A. American Iron Extreme)

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I know all about the Stranges, that's what I run on the Bullitt. Great budget drag racing oriented shock, but the Koni STR.T's are an all around better shock for a street car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts