Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '95 GT conv.[at] with 126,750 miles. I read the 5.0 bigenners guide for mods. I had a pretty good idea what I was going to do first to my stang, thanks to that guide. Them I realize as I read the milage in my pony. So I stumble onto a couple of questions. My firts question is, I'm looking to replace my stock engine with a 302. Can my stock manifold fit on the block? also what kind of mods can I do to my stang till then and in what order? also would that size of a block fit like the old block in my 5.0? :kooky:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

A 302 and a 5.0 are the same block, with slight changes depending on what year it is. For fast easy mods: Set your timing up to about 14 degrees BTC, set your TPS at or slightly below .99. I would also replace the timing chain, get some good plugs and wires, and a new cap & rotor. Then get a cold air intake or a good filter, better exhaust, underdrive pullys, gears, etc. Just depends on how much you want to spend. However, I wouldn't get rid of that engine, thats realy not that many miles. I'd just save up and rebuild that sucker when you get the $$.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Gears..................................

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree, gears are going to be your best performace gain on a stock 5.0 (302). And with the lower rated horsepower your 1995 has, some 3.55 or 3.73's would suit you well.

Of course if it hasnt been given a good tune up in a while... like plugs, wires, cap and rotor, as well as oil in the transmission and rear end should all be done. Just for reliablitity purposes, that stuff is most important. But if its all good

Slap some gear in her.

I have 3.55's but i have a 92 5.0 with 225 Stock horsepower, you i believe would have around 205-215 horespower?? So 3.73's might pull on that motor alittle better. My 3.55's are beautiful they hall ass, and i get way more traction than some people i know with 3.73's.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
1st thing...subframe connectors! The weld in kind with cross brace. They help LOTS with handling and keeping the car straight. I bought these:http://www.v8power.com/item--Kenny-...nectors-79-04-Mustang-Cobra--KBP29004SPR.html Then look into gears, Thuis is a huge debate of what ratio to get, this is my opinion, its and automatic 5.0 so I would go no higher than 3.73s. If you want frpp 3.73s you can get the gears here:http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=G&Category_Code=50REAR and you will need a new bearing kit with all those miles:http://www.mustangtuning.com/rearend.html I've heard some people have gear whine with the Motive gears so its up to you on that one. You will also need a way to correct the speedo, a new speedo gear, speed cal, tuner. I'm not %100 sure if the speed cal, and tuner will work for your year to fix the speedo or not. Next should be exhaust mods. The factory 5.0 exhaust manifolds really suck, get headers (longs are a little better than shorts), and free flowing H or X, then the catback of choice. If you just got shorties and new off road H and kept the stock cat back for now you would see and hear a big difference. 5.0s can be made really powerfull N/A so down the line look into H/C/I combos. Good luck and happy modding! :happyhapp

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I believe the stock headers are the best (despite the way they look) on E7 or GT40 heads up to about 240-250RWHP..........based on my expereince and others............

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I'd do a compression test first to see what condition your block is in before modding it. If it's weak I'd start saving for a new engine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
shawnster said:
Set your timing up to about 14 degrees BTC, set your TPS at or slightly below .99..
How would one do that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.