Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay guys i am looking into buying a mustang gt 1994-1999 and was wondering what the draws back of bouth may be i like the 5.0 B/C but man the 4.6 sound so good. How much harder and more expensive is the 4.6 to work on vs the 5.0 will take any info i can get Thanks

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I loved and miss my 95GT but if you're looking at those years for a mustang, shoot for a 98 or 99 Cobra. Better bang for the buck. Could find a 96-97 Cobra too but why not a tad less on the age.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The 5.0 and 4.6 are actually easy to work on but the 5.0 has the edge on being more mechanic friendly when it comes to changing heads, or cam and such. I can change a cam in a 5.0 alot faster than a 4.6 and less involved. Parts for the 5.0 are a dime a dozen and a little cheaper than the 4.6. But by the time you put a few mods like CAI, exhaust, and gears, a 96 Cobra and up will wax you. You have to start getting into the bigger mods like heads and a cam, tune and so on. If you can find a cheap 4.6 Cobra, i would go that route. I did alot of work on my 95 GT's 5.0 just to have 290rwhp (not sure what it made witht the 125 shot though) If you bought a 96 Cobra and put a CAI, mid pipe and catback on it with a tune and you'll see over 290rwhp.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I work on both 5.0's and my wifes 4.6...I much prefer the 5.0 from a mechanics standpoint

·
Registered
389 Posts
seems like the 5.0 has more space in the engine compartment then the 4.6. my dad has a 5.0 and changing plugs on that thing is like 10 min. but the 4.6 isnt to bad either. but if i had to choose i'd take the 4.6 cause it has more hp stock then the 5.0, but everyones got there different taste, its what makes the world go round:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i can pull the 4.6 out of my 01 in 5 hours i think it is way easy to wrok on. BUT ur 5.0 is a push rod motor and they are way easyer to work on i think i hate all the over head cam stuff timing is hard to get.. what do you have experience on? i like the 4.6 but the 2011 5.0 is so sick and if you have moeny for that GO FOR IT but the last 5.0 was in the 94-95's if you want the sn95 body

·
Registered
831 Posts
The block on the 4.6 is definitely wider, which like stated above, makes it harder to do heads, and exhaust manifolds. But I would still get the 4.6, it seems a lot quicker than the old Five point ohh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.