Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a 2002 GT and i was wondering what i should do over a period of time(at christmas) to my mustang. i am going to get slp exhaust, FIPK, and tri-axe, but i was wondering if i should go with full exhaust and new heads with throtle body and plenum, or go the supercharged route to get the most horsepower, while making it the easiest in my engine etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It all depends on what your ultimate goals are as far as hp/torque numbers and what you plan on using your car for (i.e. drag racing, track, street, daily driver, etc.). If you want HP/torque FI is the way to go. You'll ultimately spend alot more in bolt-on mods and not even come close to the numbers a supercharger or turbo can make. If you stay NA you can compensate for not having the high hp/torque numbers by regearing your car. I use my stang as a daily driver and don't want to mess with FI and the long term reliability of the engine. But it is all your choice. With the mods you listed, the cat back will add a little, but most on here say cat backs are only good for sound. Changing out your mid-pipe will give you performance as well. I have a MAC pro chamber, no cats w/ stock cat back. Definatly a difference in power and although it isn't as deep of exhaust note as I would like, it is definately deeper/louder than stock.

·
Registered
676 Posts
All good points!!

It really depends on your goals for the vehicle. You can have long term reliability with a FI set-up but, it does come with risk. (personally, 7+ yrs blown with no problems)

It's an old question (FI for the hp/trq I want or bolt ons and less risk) that only you can answer. Can't make that call for you. :shrug

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Probably help us help you if you could define both your goals as you understand them now and REALISTIC budget over the next, say, two years. I have 25K in my car not including price of car. Be careful & honest w/yourself defining goals - car can get loud and stiff quickly. Drag racer? Road racer? Cruiser? Show car?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Show us the $$$

Take it from someone who is going to be laying out $5000+ for a Kenne Bell blower soon, removing expensive aftermarket bolt-ons to make room for new ones is a drag.

In general terms, a build budget might go something like this:

1. Au Naturale (na)

Stage 1: Basic list with Lots of bolt-ons - tb & plenum ($370) - cai ($200) - 4.10 gears ($600) - long tube headers & xpipe with cats & after cat system ($1900) - steeda tri-ax ($180) - SCT or Diablo tuner ($375) - Sport springs ($300)... Total of $3625 (incl labor, assuming you install the triax, tb and plenum and do the tune yourself) ...maybe 280rwhp at the end of the day.

Stage 2: Motor time - VT or Comp Cams with new springs, CNC Port/polish heads at the same time ($3000) - Dyno time ($300) Total of $6925 so far ...maybe 330rwhp now.

Stage 3: Alternative motor time - do the cams and heads, then stroke the block to 5.0 with forged parts ($5500) - Dyno ($300) Total of $9125 ...maybe 400rwhp.

2. Centrifugal supercharger

Stage 1: Kit without intercooler ($3500 with labor and a few extra parts) - dyno time ($400) Total of $3900 ...maybe 6psi ...maybe 300 rwhp.

Stage 2: Add all the na Stage 1 items that match (cai, plenum, tuner, etc.), but the tb will help, as will the exhaust (more efficient for the sc than the na), and you've got to have the springs and triax, and 3.73 gears regardless... ($2900) Total of $6800 so far.

Stage 3: Add that intercooler you KNEW you'd want eventually ($1500) - plus a smaller pulley setup ($120) - larger fuel injectors ($300) - larger fuel pump ($300) - more dyno time ($300) Total of $8320. ...maybe 420rwhp or a bit more.

3. Twin Screw supercharger

Stage 1: Kit without intercooler ($4000 with labor) - dyno time ($400) Total of $4400
...maybe 6psi ...maybe 300rwhp.

Stage 2: Add all the na Stage 1 items that match, etc, etc., with 3.55 gears... ($2900)
Total of $7300 so far.

Stage 3: Add that intercooler ($1500) you KNEW you'd... etc, etc, kit is more complete, so you don't have to add fuel injectors, extra pulley and fuel pump, but more dyno time ($300) for sure... Total of $9100. ....maybe 420rwhp or a bit more.

VERY loose estimates, but big bucks for big power. You choose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.