Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone one the size and model number flexalite fan needed for a 1965 MUSTANG 289 with a/c & factory radiator shroud?

Will I need a spacer or can I use the one on my fan now.

Thanks for any replys.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just my opinion, I don't like flex fans. I'd install an electric fan system. More work, but better results. :yup:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Electric would be nice but a Flex Fan works fine. I have a 289 2bbl with a/c and a factory shroud. When I got the car it had a fan clutch on it.

I replaced it with a 7 blade flex fan and a factory 2 15/16" spacer that I got off ebay.

This placed the hub of the fan about 1 5/8" from the radiator and left about half the blade inside the shroud and half outside.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Electric would be nice but a Flex Fan works fine. I have a 289 2bbl with a/c and a factory shroud. When I got the car it had a fan clutch on it.

I replaced it with a 7 blade flex fan and a factory 2 15/16" spacer that I got off ebay.

This placed the hub of the fan about 1 5/8" from the radiator and left about half the blade inside the shroud and half outside.

***How many inches across is the flexfan?

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
I too have a 17" flex-a-lite fan on my 289. Spaced 2" away from the water pump and sits maybe an inch and half off my 3 row 3/8" aluminum radiator.

Works great, but I have to say, it's quite noisy. I don't like the woosh it makes.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
you mean the sound of it moving air that makes it work so great? :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I don't care for flex fans either - I have seen too many fly apart and seen too many people with cut up hands trying to handle them.

Hayden makes some really nice and inexpensive clutch fans that work great - plus they look like they belong on a classic Mustang.

Hayden - Fan Clutches and Fan Blades

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To mount the flex-a-lite fan????

Will I need new hardware or will I be able to use the old hardware [bolts, spacer, etc.] on my existing Ford fan?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Should mount with the same hardware; mine did. Mine isn't really any louder than a conventional fan, either.

·
Registered
539 Posts
To mount the flex-a-lite fan????

Will I need new hardware or will I be able to use the old hardware [bolts, spacer, etc.] on my existing Ford fan?
I added a 1" spacer and new hardware I bought from Mustangs Unlimited.

·
Registered
920 Posts
***Do you really notice a change in temperature with the FLEX-FAN?
I went to the flex fan because even with a re-cored 3 row radiator, I was running on the hot side. Now I am not. However, there are many other factors that could cause hot running.

Even after all my upgrades I still encounter heat soak on shut down so I installed a tubular SS coolant recovery system and now everything is cool, (every pun intended)

Oh, BTW, I also installed a 180° thermostat (up from a 160) and that even stabilized the temperatures.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will I need a fan clutch with the flex-fan?

Or is all I need are my excisting bolts and spacer to install the flex fan?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Will I need a fan clutch with the flex-fan?

Or is all I need are my excisting bolts and spacer to install the flex fan?
flex fan should be all you need....use your excisting bolts and spacer.....make sure your fan is 50% in and 50% out on your shroud...happy cooling

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's the question:

I KNOW I NEED THE 17" SIZE FLEX-A-LITE FAN.

But FLEX-A-LITE HAS many 17" fans???

***Is there one 17" FAN in particular I should get for the 289 Mustang or any 17" fan is ok?:?:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts