Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took the advice of fellow members and got rid of the 1965 straight 6 and got a 289 i way better shape so i was just wondering what the size of the rear axle is.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) If the fifth digit of the vin of the car is 'C' or 'A' the rear axle is supposed to be an 8 inch, if the fifth digit is 'K' it's supposed to be a 9 inch. How you can tell which is actually there is to look at the thr front of the axle housing, where the center section is held on with a circle of nuts. If you could easily get a socket wrench on the bottom two nuts, it's an 8 inch, if not, it's a 9 inch.:)

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) That is true, Andrew. I was just going by the way that he said he got a 289 car. The integral carriers used in the 6 cyl cars loaded from the back, and the center section isn't really a removable item anyway. If he looks down there and doesn't see any nuts holding anything on, he'll figure out fairly quickly that this is the same rear axle that his 6 cyl car had.:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

thanks guys for the knowledge i love this site and i will be making much use of it in the future, you guys know so much thats the way i would like to be.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
you guys know so much thats the way i would like to be.
Hi again.:) Read everything that you can get your hands on and retain everything that you read. If you have a clear idea of what's supposed to be there and a clear view of what's actually there, the part of the later that won't superimpose over the top of the former is probably the source of any problems the system might be having.:gringreen These cars just aren't that complicated. And thank you.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.