Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 base v6 (no packages) and I wanted to install
rims first but I don't know what size I need. Please let me know.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for, I have 19X8.5 with 255/40 19's on mine, The pony Package and MCA have an 18X8 one is polished one is painted SGM with 235/50 18's.
You can look at American Muscle and see what they have for tire and wheel packages also.
Your Wheels are 17X7 if you are wanting to stay with the 17's.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The base comes with 17's

I am running 255/45/18's on my stock Pony Package polished 18x8" rims.

19's are more pricey when looking for tires.

20's are kind of heavy, and a little too big looking IMHO

American Muscle has a good selection and they know what fits these cars.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-mustang-wheels.html

BTW even 15's "can" fit on the base (but that's directed toward drag racing)

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think the 2011+ Mustangs look real nice with 19s and sometimes with 20s. I prefer 19s overall but tires are more expensive. 20s only if you dont give a damn about performance. 18s aren't bad either, especially if you're performance oriented.

·
Registered
748 Posts
19x10 +42 with 275/40-18 tire.....all around.....done

·
Registered
748 Posts
That would be quite a feat to make those work... :bigthumbsup
I have 18x10 with that tire set up and theres minimal difference in overall wheel size. I did make a mistake with the tire size, if it's 275/35-19, it'l be the exact same size as 18x10 with 275/40-18 so it will work 100%

EDIT:
realized my typo :)

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Keep in mind that the wider your tire is, the less your mileage will be. That being said...

0) 18's are the lightest and least expensive way to go, and there are hundreds of wheels to select from in that size.

1) If you're going to be racing (HPDE or Autocross), get a square setup (wheels and tires are the same size at both ends of the car).

2) 18x10 wheels will fit on all four corners.

3) Find out what the optimum tries section width is for the wheels you buy, and use buy tires of that size.

4) American Muscle has a good selection of wheels, but TireRack's web site lets you see the wheel on your car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like how the 19's fit on our Mustang that's why I got them for mine. Also they look better staggered.

·
Registered
702 Posts
3) Find out what the optimum tries section width is for the wheels you buy, and buy tires of that size.
For the case of motorsport, I would word that backwards. Determine what brand/size rubber you tend to run, and buy rims ideal for that size.

Not everything comes in every size.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
For the case of motorsport, I would word that backwards. Determine what brand/size rubber you tend to run, and buy rims ideal for that size.

Not everything comes in every size.
Right, but since 17's aren't optimal for big brakes, and 19/20's are almost completely void of decent tire choices, 18's are the best size for me. Since you can only stuff just so much wheel under a mustang's fenders, you have to compromise. 18x10 with 285/35's works for my uses (and Hankook R-S3's are available in that size - :).

·
Registered
748 Posts
Right, but since 17's aren't optimal for big brakes, and 19/20's are almost completely void of decent tire choices, 18's are the best size for me. Since you can only stuff just so much wheel under a mustang's fenders, you have to compromise. 18x10 with 285/35's works for my uses (and Hankook R-S3's are available in that size - :).
The mustang is actually one of the few cars that you don't have to compromise on wheel/tires. Go ask the imports owners. I agree with jsimmons, 18s are the optimal wheel size for mustangs. They have the best balance between width and sidewall while maintaining a good overall wheel size. 18x9.5 is the smallest I would go for motorsport applications.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts