Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i need to know what kind of springs and retainers and rockers that will work with the GT40P heads. I plan on using the XE270HR-14 camshaft.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the lift is 512 with 1.6 roller rockers

·
Registered
6,328 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
^^^^
i have those rockers on mine..except they're 1.72 ratio instead of 1.6..made in the USA and lifetime no questions asked guarantee :bigthumbsup

i also run the crane 44308-1 spring kit..be sure to check installed height..mine all needed shims

·
Registered
156 Posts
ebay motors ,Alex's parts,where I got there max out springs for my gt40p heads,have had no problem,125 to the door.a year ago.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
ebay motors ,Alex's parts,where I got there max out springs for my gt40p heads,have had no problem,125 to the door.a year ago.

I dont see any brand names on their products do they make their own? I would trust the FRPP and they are same price

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
i'd recommend the same..those are stud rockers though,he needs pedestal..make sure you buy the right ones

and get yourself an adjustable pushrod length checker while you're at it..
Good catch! :bigthumbsup

OP I believe you will need to have the heads machined to screw in studs also. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
156 Posts
I dont see any brand names on their products do they make their own? I would trust the FRPP and they are same price
almost 15 thousand transactions with 100% positive feedback should speak for itself.You dont get to stay in buisness selling junk.True there is no brand name,but i didn't buy them for the pretty box.Im just saying im happy with mine.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
whats the coil bind spec on alex's springs? have any clue? at 1.78 thats a fairly low installed height..wondering what kind of lift would be within their range..
just cuz they advertise seat pressure @ .600" lift doesnt mean you can run a cam with .600" lift..

http://www.alexsparts.com/products/...PUT-DROP-IN-VALVE-SPRING-KIT,-HYD-ROLLER.html

he shouldnt need screw in studs for that xe270hr w/ 1.6 rockers..mine has more lift with the 1.72's

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
almost 15 thousand transactions with 100% positive feedback should speak for itself.You dont get to stay in buisness selling junk.True there is no brand name,but i didn't buy them for the pretty box.Im just saying im happy with mine.

It could be 15 million trans actions, those are left briefly after purchase, not 6 months-year later. Even TFS had issues with theirs after a year or so.

Dont get me wrong I am always up for new performance parts that do just that PERFORM. That is rated by many things: Price, quality, and customer service being the top.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
seems like a decent spring..specs work out nicely..although from what ive learned,you can actually be too far away from coil bind,as well as too close..you want your spring rates to match your cam, and stay within .060-.080" from coil bind,otherwise it may not properly control the valve..so with a lower lift cam,they might be a bit much..but im no expert when it comes to these things..

ive seen other people on other forums say they've been using them with no issues,i personally just never looked into them enuff to know any of the specs

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok guys im going to stick with the stock HO cam, and i want the 1.7 rollers. Thanks for all your guys knowledge.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack, but are valve springs really necessary for GT40p's?

Right now I'm running a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam which is a .499/.510 lift cam with the 1.6's I'm using. The rockers came already installed when I bought the car.

I'm pretty sure the stock Explorer cam was in the car, but I don't really know the history of the motor.

Is there any way to tell if I have stock valve springs? They don't look aftermarket, but the motor still pulls to 5500 rpm strong.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't mean to thread jack, but are valve springs really necessary for GT40p's?

Right now I'm running a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam which is a .499/.510 lift cam with the 1.6's I'm using. The rockers came already installed when I bought the car.

I'm pretty sure the stock Explorer cam was in the car, but I don't really know the history of the motor.

Is there any way to tell if I have stock valve springs? They don't look aftermarket, but the motor still pulls to 5500 rpm strong.
From what im learning, its a must, to upgrade valve springs on the GT40P heads because the Explorer Engine has a low lift camshaft that was towing specific. So the spings could only handle a max of .480 lift if im correct, then valve float would exist. Either way upgrade is first thing that should be done. I myself is having troubles on which ones to buy, because i dont know which ones will work without machining, but im learning. Im not too sure how you can identify if your valve springs are stock or not.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Valve spring requirements is not exclusively dictated by total lift. Does a set of stock heads benefit from an upgrade even with the stock low-lift cam?.... absolutely. IOW..... better valve springs are really necessary for E7/GT40/GT40p heads

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Joel..have you ever checked the pressure a stock E7 and/or GT40(p) explorer valve spring puts on the seat?

just curious..i remember calling ford's tech line a few years back,and i swear they told me the stock E7 mustang springs put like 80lbs on the seat??? i dont remember for sure,but it was something stupidly weak..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts