Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a basic stock 2001 mustang convertable and was wondering what I could do to boost my mpgs. I hope to find out what mods will help and if possible how?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
joe said:
I have a basic stock 2001 mustang convertable and was wondering what I could do to boost my mpgs. I hope to find out what mods will help and if possible how?
Generally, making the car more efficient will increase your mileage.

The biggest factor are your tires, increase the psi, and you mileage will improve significantly.

Next you may want to pick up a set of underdriver pulleys, and a K&N filter. Switching to a less restrictive exhaust system will also improve mileage, as will using a synthetic or synth-blend lubricant in your engine and rear gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
underdriver pulleys

I hear people mentioning them but do not understand how that will help could you explain?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
joe said:
I hear people mentioning them but do not understand how that will help could you explain?
Ok, the engine in your car is also used in much larger vehicles, including minivans, meaning that all your accessories were built for a much larger vehicle with more electronics (dvdplayers, etc).

Your AC, Alternator, Power Steering etc, all take engine power to turn. by slowing down the rate at which the accessories turn, you increase the efficiency of the engine, which increases your miles per gallon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so then I should get smaller then stock pulleys, my next question any suggestions on size? or even kits that have worked out well for you

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
joe said:
ok so then I should get smaller then stock pulleys, my next question any suggestions on size? or even kits that have worked out well for you
I'd go with the 42% underdriver offered at www.rpmoutlet.com

Great price, biggest reduction, no problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You did not say if your car has a manual transmission. If it does your best bet is to shift at the lowest rpm possible and get into top gear as soon as possible. Maybe even start in 2nd. When I'm just cruzing I'm in 5th by 40mph:eyebulge: . I know :sleeping: but I get livable mpg even with 4.10's. A properly maintained vehicle as well as upping the tire pressure, as mentioned above though not to much due to increased center tire wear that will counter the money saved on gas, will help. Road&Track did an article on this and short shifting was the answer.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
GR40Snake said:
You did not say if your car has a manual transmission. If it does your best bet is to shift at the lowest rpm possible and get into top gear as soon as possible. Maybe even start in 2nd. When I'm just cruzing I'm in 5th by 40mph:eyebulge: . I know :sleeping: but I get livable mpg even with 4.10's. A properly maintained vehicle as well as upping the tire pressure, as mentioned above though not to much due to increased center tire wear that will counter the money saved on gas, will help. Road&Track did an article on this and short shifting was the answer.
yeah, it's forced on GM v8s. there's a lockout unless you're at WOT.

·
Registered
70 Posts
GM Skip Shift has to be the most annoying device ever invented that was put on a car:anianger: . Its decisions like that that's driving them, or the rumors of, towards bankruptcy. It does allow them to put better #'s on the window sticker, more of a loophole if you ask me to get there average fleet mpg #'s up as required by the feds. Flash it out is a must.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.