Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

about one and a half years ago I've bought a 66 coupe that a guy started as a project car but never finished it. It came with a brand new custom built 347 stroker. This summer the car got finished and is running very nicely.

Now here's the problem: The motor builder has put a 750 cfm carb so it's a little over-carbed. Using the proper formula the best choice would be a 650 or maybe a bit more.

So are there any known ways to keep that carb and just make the combo work "better" so I have an adequate response and power graph?

Dennis

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had a nice running 302 in my Torino, but because of the rear gears, I wasn't getting all the way out of the idle circuits till I was well over the speed limit. This was confirmed with an A/F meter while driving. Mileage was poor, etc. I changed to a Holley 390 4 BBL and the car performed great! It was transferring out of the idle circuit at a lower RPM, the smaller primaries gave excellent throttle response, and my mileage jumped up quite a bit. It cruised on the highway with no problem. I was very happy with the smaller carb, took it on the Power Tour in 2004 with that carb. You may not need a 390 CFM, but if you came down to a 600 or so, you might see quite a difference. Those formulas are for max RPM which a street engine doesn't see much, the most of it's life the engine is at much lower RPM.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts