Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First and foremost, I'd like to say that this is not a classified ad. I am just looking for advice from other classic car enthusiasts. OK, I bought a '70 mustang convertible 10 years ago that had been in a guys garage for 10 years. It needed work. There were holes in the floor and wheel wells/ quarters, a few dents , upholstry tears, etc. I had big plans, but no time. I rebuilt the 2bbl carb and did get the straight 6 to run. I put new brake shoes on to make sure she'd drive and stop and she did. I then began to tear her down. I stripped her , put in a new floor, replaced one section of frame in the rear, cut out the quarter skins and inner wheel wells- replaced them on one side them - I have the other replacements, they're just not on, and patched up some other problems here and there. So, before I pulled the fenders/bumpers/mirrors/hood/engine/seats /door panels/dash and anything else that I could ,she ran and drove and everything worked. Well, She's been in a garage for 20 years now(10 in mine) and I think its time I set her free. I havent had time for her, and now I'm about to move and build a house, so I'll have even less. My questions to you are these- should I put her back together as quickly and as best I can (I'm no pro for sure) or leave her in pieces so that whoever buys her can take the time to do it right and restore everything before reassembly? If you were buying a project like this which would you prefer? Also, any idea on a minimum that I should be able to fetch for her in either case? Thanks. Tom.

·
Registered
394 Posts
if not i'd go for 3 grand that'd be a pretty okay price maby 3500 i mean it runs does the top go up and down? does it have leaks? and list all the new parts you got put on and new parts that aren't put on. if its easy enough take a day off and put all the stuff on. good luck

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If you don't have the time to replace the other quater correctly then I wouldn't hack it on there as it could send up a red flag to the buyer as to what other things could be hacked on that car. I would atleast try to get it running and "lot drivable", not something to safely go on the street but something that can be moved around the yard and onto a trailer under it's own power. A running car, even if it doesn't run great, is easier to sell than a non-running one. Putting the seats into the car will be helpful too. If you have a rug I would include it but not install it. Since you redid the floors they can that easier, and especially since that's something the buyer will check.

A 250 6 cyl (L code) may get a slightly higher price from the buyer than a 200 (T code) as it would already have a small block 8 suspension and steering from the factory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.