Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my new 08 mustang for a week now and I still havent gotten over it! Going from a 93 dodge sedan to a new mustang was already a huge jump, but I'm looking into doing a few things. I'm already happy with the acceleration as is, but who doesn't want more:gringreen! So what should i expect out of 4.10 gears, CAI, and tune from bamachips? Keep in mind I don't go to the drag strip or anything like that, I just like to get all the fun I can out of my car. The "feel" is more important to me than the numbers. All replies are appreciated.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Well you can expect a 20-25hp gain from a CAI and Tune and as for 4.10's it will greatly help you acclerate faster from a dig. You'll be chirping those tires a lot with them:D

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If your not going to the track i wouldn't recommend 4.10s unless you dont mind the decrease in gas mileage, but if you dont mind you should notice a big difference, especially since your getting your tunes from doug :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
so for a 16 gallon tank... 32 miles less :so

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not too too worried about the gas. From what ive read its maily taken off from highway driving at higher RPMs? My commute to work is very short....like 2 mins. Will i be spinning those tires when im not even trying to :gringreen? Thanks for all the replies so far. If anyone really thinks the 3.73's are a better choice, let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I'm not too too worried about the gas. From what ive read its maily taken off from highway driving at higher RPMs? My commute to work is very short....like 2 mins. Will i be spinning those tires when im not even trying to :gringreen? Thanks for all the replies so far. If anyone really thinks the 3.73's are a better choice, let me know what you think.
You won't be spinning uncontrollably. In fact, your mileage could actually improve if you spend more time in 5th gear.

·
Registered
621 Posts
how much is the tuning from bamachips???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so now for the other side of this. Which should i put in first? I think most people say do the CAI and tune first, and then the gears. The only thing is, after reading I'm now paranoid that the dealership might reflash the comp and I won't be able to get the tunes to work again, or worse yet have my car act funny and not start up. I was thinking just put this off for a while (my car only has 300 miles on it ) and do it all at once. Do the gears first, drive home and then put the CAI and tune in. Good idea, bad, or am I just being too paranoid?:shigrin

·
Registered
171 Posts
Get the intake and tuner first. Then once you get the gears installed you can change the gear ratio on your tuner.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
your being paranoid, but lemme ask you this, you dont wanna race the car but would you like your car to perform at a GT level? Im asking because after you get a CAI+Tuner which is about $600 and then the gears+install unless you install yourself which i would not recommend unless your VERY experienced with this stuff, your looking at another $500, why dont you just save up for a X-charger and do the install yourself, and your looking at 3k and 140+ hp gain instead of $1100 and more acceleration... less gas mileage and 20 hp gain...

sorry im very into forced induction on the v6 lol, if this is not your cup of tea then by all means go ahead and do what you had planned but i would recommend getting a t-lok if your going to be going into the rear end so you can save money on the install

·
Registered
263 Posts
The only caveat with forced induction is that you could be without a car for awhile if it's your daily driver. First, the install is not simple to do yourself. Second, FI puts strain on the engine, whereas gears/cai/tune is perfectly safe. I'm a little leery of sticking that supercharger on my car when i depend on it for getting to and from work every day, even though I know it would be a ton of fun.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
an x-charger is apparently very easy to install yourself and the strain on the engine would depend on how you drive it and how much boost you run but the points made by the above poster are obviously true if your going to want to run a higher amount of boost

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.