Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have an extra $300 bucks to spend and I was thinking of getting my windows tinted. What do you guys think I should get? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
If its style your looking for, I think tinted windows makes a big difference. Personally I would look for more performance, perhaps a short throw shifter and some underdrive pulleys. Both can be had in your $$$ range and are easy DIY installs.

·
Registered
626 Posts
you can do both.. Short throw shifter, plus window tint... I got my MGW for 179.95 and installed it myself, which I love and was a piece of cake. Window tint shouldn't be to expensive, most places around here can do a good job for around 100 bucks.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
i got my steeda short throw from mustang tuning, 179.99 with free shipping i added the fprr cobra style shift knob for 10 more bucks.

i had my tint install by autotronics, they did a very good job, its 169 for a 2 door car and 189 for a 4 door car. they under quoted me 149 on the phone so i got it cheaper.

my moms 4 door car was tinted at formula 1 with 18% all around thats 2 % darker than legel limit in fl (but its fine here lol) and its really nice, i have limo tint on back windows and darkest legal (20%) on doors.

i would go with shifter, i love it its one of the NON power added parts that i have installed that i love. i drive my friends mustang when he was trading it in and i took his shifter off of it and i felt like i was driving a semi lol.

underdrive pullies range in 150+ , so its all what you really want to do.

like funky boss, everything can be install by yourself even the tint ( i wouldnt attempt it lol) but yea =)

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Yeah, I've had both sucess and failure doing my own tint. What a PITA, I will never do it again.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
FunkyBoss said:
Yeah, I've had both sucess and failure doing my own tint. What a PITA, I will never do it again.

It is definitely a PITA, but when you consider getting the tint yourself for $50 and taking it somewhere to have it done for $250 it's well worth it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got my car tinted this summer for $200.

It is DEF somthing to pay a professional to do.

If you do it yourself, it will get really bubbly and eventually get purplish.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I definitely agree to have a professional do the tint for you. I've seen cars with DIY tint and it doesn't last and just looks terrible. I'd pay a professional to make it look good, that's what I did, and it looks awesome. 15% on the quarterpanel windows and rear was 160, prob an extra 100 for the windshield and side windows but CA tint is legal at 70 so it's just a waste, for me anyways, what a rip. As for performance, you could go with a set of U/D pullies, a tuner, or gears. The possibilities are endless....:laughlitt

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I was quoted 309 for tint, and i was like yeah right, so i definately need to go somewhere else. Anyway, im thinking shifter, but how much hp gains can you expect from a tuner?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Gears

Depending on your car (can't really tell what you have from your sig or profile), gears are almost always a correct decision. $300 is just about the correct amount for the parts, with a little left over to go toward the installation (you'll probably need to come up with another $100 or so for that).

If you don't already have one, you can just about acquire a tuner for that amount (SCT or Diablo used, or a new Sniper).

Window tints are a low priority for a convertible, but if you have a coupe, be aware that dark tints above a certain % is illegal in lots of states and some larger cities. If you never leave your home grounds, no problem. In that case, by all means buy the best quality you can find, materials AND installation. If you always shoot for the best quality of whatever you add to your car, you'll progress slower, but you'll have a lot fewer problems with the changes you make!

tripleblack

·
Registered
626 Posts
Short Shifter = 179.00.. Gears, depending on which ones you get around 350-400.. most places will charge 200+ for complete install - plus buying the gear and if you go brand new they range from 150-200+; I was quoted everywhere from 175-320 to install my 3.90's, and you need to buy something to recalibrate your speedometer... SCT Xcal2 and the diablo are running around 400.. you can also do a TB/Plenum combo for around 300. I would shell out an extra 100 for either the gear or the chip... but if you can't i'd say short shifter, I say that because I think it's the best thing i could've done to my car for under 200 bucks - and its something you can install yourself... I wouldn't dare try to install gears or tint unless I had experiance with it.. a lot of experiance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.