Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a family friend who owns a mechanics shop here in town, and he lets me use his lift when it isnt occupied for a small cost of dinner. The main reason I am putting it up on the lift in the first place is to investigate a clunking noise coming somewhere from the driveline. And having recently bought the car, I want to check out what mods this guy has done to it. (pictures to come)

But my question to you guys is: What else should I look for? What are some warning signs that I should be aware of, and/or what are some parts that I should check the integrity of? I just want to make the most of my visit, it isnt often that he has an open lift, so i need to spend my time wisely. Thanks!

·
Registered
721 Posts
when i got new gears they got torn up and made a horrible noise. might want to check your gear box. easy way to check is to turn your drive shaft by hand. if it holds up or slips then pull the cover off you rear and check it out

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
A small clunk noise coming from the driveline is pretty much normal.
If I were under there, I'd look for any fluid leaks, check out the condition of the exhaust. Look at the steering rack bushings where it mounts to the K-member, and all the other suspension bushings. Check out the swaybar link bushings. Check the U-joints (could be the source of your "clunk" noise) and any leaks from the rear end.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to see how close your exhaust to make sure it's not coming into contact with the drive shaft. That can cause quite a bit of noise.
You sir are correct. We found out that my muffler was rubbing on my floor pan, and it would knock whenever any torque was put on the driveline, or when I would turn left. Oh well, it gives me an even better excuse to toss the flowmasters and get some LM2's! :winks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts