Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want AFR's but can't afford them right now. Im putting together my 347 stroker, and I have about everything but heads. I bought the Edelbrock performer rpm 2 intake manifold, Crane cam, Duration 272/ 284, Lift .484/ .512, 1.6 scorpion rockers, 24lb injectors, mac long tubes, mac h-pipe (no cats), dynomax mufflers, TKO tranny, and 3.73 gears. I think I want a set of trickflows, but which ones? Track heat, twisted wedge? Or another brand? Let me know what you think. Also what would be the best throttle body, and cold air kit for my set up? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I think it would be in your best interest to just save for edelbrock heads or AFR 185's.

I would go with a 75mm throttle body. Cold air kit is up to you! Whatever looks good. The Chicane cold air intake in our review section looks pretty cool but isn't cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm going also building a 347. I have the Trick Flow twisted wedge heads. I believe that it changes the the pistons and rods that you will use.

How did you select the CAM? What did you do about the Flywheel? I guess with my new forged crank, I need to get a new flywheel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of my stuff is forged to. My motor came internally balanced, if thats how yours is you need a neutral balance harmonic balancer. I got one from summit that is internal balance, or external. For internal you just take a bolt out, and it becomes neutral balanced. You can buy a neutral balanced flywheel to, but I just had mine resurfaced, and neutral balanced. On the cam, I already had it before I decided to do the 347. I was going to get a bigger Comp cam, but got low on money.

·
Registered
141 Posts
save your money for afr 185s if thats what u really wan ull end up buying something else cause ur low on money then in the future end up changing them cause that wat u wanted in the first place its a waste of money afrs are goo head im doing the same build as u pretty much a 347 with afr 185s and edel rpm 2 intake and a cam wiith .544 life as big as the head will take with out the spring upgrades it should be fun

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You really should change you springs anyways. I might be selling my Trickflow springs if you interested. They where used for a little under 2500 miles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
why would i wanna change the springs?? there good to .550 lift??? and i got a good deal on the heads 1300 canadian which isnt bad .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who told you that? Those stock springs are weak. I was required to get bigger better springs with my cam, and your cam is bigger than mine. I hope your not planning on using stock rockers, and pushrods to. Good deal on those heads, do you have anymore info on where you got them? Im guessing you live in Canada?

·
Registered
141 Posts
who told u the springs are weak?? i talked to the guys at afr and they said those springs will be fine with my cam and ye i have new lifts and pushrods am not a moron i no my way around a motor pretty good and i live in canada

·
Registered
192 Posts
GhostDog 5.0 said:
I think it would be in your best interest to just save for edelbrock heads or AFR 185's.

I would go with a 75mm throttle body. Cold air kit is up to you! Whatever looks good. The Chicane cold air intake in our review section looks pretty cool but isn't cheap.
im with him. in my own personal experience, trick flows quality is lacking compared to AFR or edelbrock... but like i said, thats just my own personal experience. and why such a baby cam? whats the compression?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know AFR is better, but the trickflow heads can be ported more than the AFR's. I have a friend that is going to port my trickflow heads for $200 when I get them, and they will flow better than the AFR's. You might want to get a 2nd opinion on those valve springs, your talking the stock ford 5.0 H.O. spring right? No way would I re-use those. Do what you do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Note:
Hydraulic roller cams typically experience valve float at 5800-6000 rpm because of their fast ramp rates. AFR suggests you upgrade your springs to AFR part #8032, 1.530 O.D. with higher spring pressures to reduce chances of valve float associated with rpm’s 6000 or higher.

·
Registered
141 Posts
they arnt stock 5.0 springs have u read anything about the afr 185cc head y would they have stock 5.o springs when u cant put them on a stock 5.0 unless u get the pistons fly cut? and my cam experiences valuve float at about 6500 rpms

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.