Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of air/fuel ratio gauge would I need to order if I want to be able to monitor my air/fuel ratio on my 1993 mustang? I want to be able to keep an eye on it as it is supercharged. I don't know if I need wide band or narrow band. What is the difference?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
you need to install a wideband o2 sensor along with the a/f gauge(separate from the 2 stock narrowband o2 sensors)
a narrow band(stock style) o2 will only tell you rich or lean
a wideband o2 sensor will tell you HOW rich or lean

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
narrowband is a useless light show. I would get a AF gauge that has the recall button. Your not going to be looking at that gauge when @ WOT.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If I needed one, this is the one I'd buy:

Auto Meter 5978 - Auto Meter ES Series Wideband Air/Fuel Gauges - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I had an AEM UEGO on my VR4 years ago, that would also do the trick, but as spdjnky pointed out...you will want recall capabilities. The gauge in the link has that function. You'll also want a weld-in bung to accept the sensor. Ideally, on a 2 bank engine such as a V8 or V6, you'd want 2 seperate gauges to monitor both banks. Using 1 gauge you'd want to put it before any cats and in a location as close as possible to where the exhaust meets.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I just ordered up this gauge and will have it at my shop tomorrow:

Auto Meter

Should be a nice little wideband setup. Any tips on install or anything I should know going in. I'm pumped to get this put in tomorrow and can't wait to see what my air/fuel ratio is at when on the throttle. I've just been trusting it for about 2 years, but with the upgraded boost coming, I want to be ready. I have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, so if I'm running lean, will increasing the fuel pressure help with that? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
does it come with a wideband o2 sensor? if its just the gauge itself,it wont tell you anything

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
^^^^God I would hope so if that is the $200+ one I was looking at.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it comes with the wideband sensor.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Yeah that is a good gauge and it's more like $300.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it installed today. I'm running 11.4:1 at wot all the way up to 6000 rpm. After that it kicks to about 13.6:1. My understanding is that this would still be rich, correct? So I believe I'm running just fine. Any input on these findings is much appreciated. I gotta say this gauge is very cool!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts