Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 mustang 289 4bbl holley carb. I'm using the 89 gas which is one step above 87 but should I be using 91? What are the pros/cons? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:D

·
Registered
298 Posts
the only reason you would want to use a higher octane fuel is if your are having a problem with detonation. if this is not a problem for you use what you have been useing, or go down a grade and see if you get a knock under a load and if you still don't, you sould be able to use that without any problems.:D

Sore

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The only reason you should use higher octane in a mostly stock motor is because you have your timing advanced. It'll get you 5 hp or so, but I don't think that 5 hp is worth the extra 20 cents/gallon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ping

Even back in the day we had pre detonation. Some cars were worse than others. We also called it "spike" and "ping". Whether or not you need higher octane depends on how your engine runs. It would be hard to completely stop ping without a modern computerized ignition control considering it is in many cases "the nature of the beast"

Harry

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have to use 93 as mine pings going uphill with lower grades. Just depends on how your car is tuned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.