Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my stock headlight bulbs and I was wondering what the best ones where. AM has 2 on their site: the Luminics had a bad review so I was considering the Sylvania Silverstar's but I've heard Xenon's are good, any thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stay away from Silverstars. I had them in 2 different cars and those things burned out really fast. I thought it might have been faulty bulbs but I was losing them 1 month in, even on replacement bulbs. No experience with the others though

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ever thought of just getting an HID kit? It'll be a better investment in the long run. Maybe something like 12K's with 55W bulbs or 10K with 55W bulbs.

·
Registered
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,543 Posts
I have had Silver Stars in my car for over 15 months. I have run them in all my vehicles and I do a lot of driving in the early mornings and at night without problems.
Just watch out for bulbs that are over the 55/60 watt, it will burn the wiring up.
Also, around here they are starting to write tickets for aftermarket HID's because of the light scatter and its blinding effects to oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
The reasonable options:
Nokya - ~$20-30, HID color, and MUCH brighter (got mine from ebay)
V-LED - ~$80, comes in your choice of colors, closer to HIDs
HID conversion - $90-120 does just that, converts your lights into HIDs

I went with the Nokyas, because they are a big improvement for little $$.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Silverstar Ultras! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Which HID bulb kits will fit? I see american muscle sell H9 and H13 bulbs to go along with the projector lights they sell. Yet I see H11's were recommended as well...so what bulb is it? I looked at v-LEDs and they sell H9, H11, and H13's....which one is the right one or does it matter? The v-LEDs are 35w.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Should be H13's (stock) since they have two filaments, normal & high beams. H11's are a single filament. Not sure about H9s.

·
Registered
405 Posts
HID bulbs that I recommend are H13's

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Here ya go guys...

OSRAM SYLVANIA - Replacement Guide - Start

A lil searching will tell you as well that LED head light/fog light bulbs produce awful light output. They might look pretty, but they do not light up the road very well.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
A lil searching will tell you as well that LED head light/fog light bulbs produce awful light output. They might look pretty, but they do not light up the road very well.
I found this to be true when I used LEDS for my fog lights.

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went with a 35w 8000k slim ballast bi-xenon H13 and H11 from my usual supplier and can't be happier. Price was around 80$ shipped for both kits. I've yet to been flashed by any oncoming traffic while in the mustang (unlike my 94 Japanese celica with 55w HIDs and since its japanese the headlight housings are designed for RHD roads so they throw light up to the left)

I've used silverstars before on multiple applications and while they are nice and white and quite bright for a stock wattage bulb but I never had one make it past 8mo without needing to be replaced And at 50-80$ dollars a pop got quite expensive fast for better visibility. I've never had a HID bulb go out on me in anything less than 3 years. (actually I've never had one burn out just tend to replace them as they get that old as HID bulbs lose intensity as time goes on) I use HID kits on my 98 eclipse and 94 celica.

Heres a few shots I took showing off my kit.

Right after the install first fire up.

low beams and fogs

High Beams only (no fogs)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I went ahead and bought Sylvania Silverstars and they are brighter but not by that much. I'm putting smoked covers on my headlights so I'm looking for something a little bit brighter than the Silverstars. I'm not ready to try a HID conversion kit just yet so I may go ahead and try the Nokyas or something from V-Leds. BTW I bought the blue map lights from V-Leds ($25 with shipping) and installed them and its gotta be the cheapest and one of the coolest mods out there.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quick questions, when you change out headlights do you need to adjust them to point straight like the old school cars or is it just pretty much straight after the install?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's straight after install no problems, if you have HIDs it may be different but for the stock cases its really simple.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I'm putting smoked covers on my headlights so I'm looking for something a little bit brighter than the Silverstars.
I'd pass on that if you want to drive the car at night & actually be able to see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts