Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been looking into this quite a bit and havent come up with any good solid advice. I want to know what kind of mid pipes to get to convert to a dual exhaust. I was looking into the off-road pipes but the power loss got me concerned. I'm looking for a loud system without lose of power. Thanks

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You wont lose power on a o/r pipe be it a "h" or a "x". Your only going to lose the power if the pipe is to big. With your v6 I would go with a 2 1/2" pipe no bigger. Any thing more then that you'll lose power. I'd say go with a "h" pipe. I like the x but with a v6 I dont think is sounds good at all, but it's up to you.
Go on to youtube and check out whats on there.
It will give you more of a idea on what kinda a set up sounds like.

Also is there state smog testing by you(county wise)?
If so you'll need the cats and no o/r pipe for you if you want to pass. In wisconsin 95 and below no longer need the smog test.

What kinda of sound are you looking for?
Remember it wont be as deep sounding as a gt or cobra. But a "h" pipe will make it alittle bit deeper vs a "X". A "X" will make it more raspy sounding.
Are you keeping the stock headers? What about your "cat back" what mufflers where you looking in to? Magna flow sounds good on a v6. I dont know about flowmaster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks

See thats what i spent of lot of timing trying to figure out. I could not find any information on the power loss factors. I dont want any power loss. Also no i dont have smog testing in my county so I will be ok there.
I'm looking to a loud crackley muscle car sound, something a lot better then the crappy stock pipes. For Cat-backs I want to go with SLP LMs, but again im not sure what would work best. Yes im keeping my stock headers.

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I would go with flows and a o/r h. Sounds good for a V6:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
313 Posts
yea go with flowmasters and a true dual kit... there is really no need for the midpipe... but if you do go with a H pipe because the x makes it sound like a boat... just a personal opinion ... i dont want to offend anyone... look it up on youtube there is so many exhaust clips on that...
i have flowmaster 40's and true dual exhaust... its loud enough it rattles the interior... but a v6 does not really have and agressive idle sound... it sounds good at higher rpms though :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
well i recommend pypes violators i have an 02' 3.8L V6 and mine sounds amazing! i dont have a midpipe actually mine is cut after the stock cats and was worked on by a shop from there my exhaust is completely serperate from headers to tips. i dont not think mine gets very raspy at all even running in 5K range. it has a nice very aggressive tone for a V6 is easily heard but still has a good tone. they have a very unique sound IMO they are in between flowmasters and magnaflows. they resemble a flowmaster sounds but is not the same at all. they retail around $70 a peice and i paid $55 but i cant remember the site =( but i highly recommend them you wont be disappointed!

·
Registered
914 Posts
check out the true duals at RPMOutlet.com

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
yea go with flowmasters and a true dual kit... there is really no need for the midpipe... but if you do go with a H pipe because the x makes it sound like a boat... just a personal opinion ... i dont want to offend anyone... look it up on youtube there is so many exhaust clips on that...
i have flowmaster 40's and true dual exhaust... its loud enough it rattles the interior... but a v6 does not really have and agressive idle sound... it sounds good at higher rpms though :)

+1)

I love the x pipe on the 8's but on the v6 I wouldnt go that way. To me the "X" sounds alittle more ricy on a 6.

Flowsmaster 40's and a "o/r h" or a straight duels set will make is Loud. I will give you more of a deeper tone But like I said before you wont get the same sound of a v8 but it will sound nice!!.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
You want loud? Try long tubes with no cats and 2 turbo mufflers that stop at the axles. I can't hear myself think sometimes. Never mind trying to power up a hill without downshifting. It gets ungodly. Everything vibrates from the drone. But the '01 wasn't meant to be a daily driver anymore......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.