Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 97 cobra with the stock transmission and im starting to get sick of going through the long shifts. I have been looking at Short Throw Shifters and am not sure which ones I should get. Any ideas?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
hands down the Pro 5.0...the best $179 you'll ever spend

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know of any websites to find one. Can't find it anywhere on American Muscle...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yep, I was driving my Cobra today and still marvel at how well that thing works after all these years, you can rip shifts so fast it will make you wonder how the stock one can be so bad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha yea man I love this car had it since 2006 when my dad first bought it. Then I got the keys when i turned 16. Only thing is because it's loud, fast, and red I am constantly getting pulled over

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mgw................................

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have an MGW in mine. I guess it shifts faster at WOT than my stock shifter but I honestly don't see the hype in short throws unless your racing constantly

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
I have an MGW in mine. I guess it shifts faster at WOT than my stock shifter but I honestly don't see the hype in short throws unless your racing constantly
what? Tighter shorter more precise shifting on every shift?, with a Pro 5.0 you never miss a shift, it literally makes any kinda driving more enjoyable and the car faster since you can shift faster, it makes the car feel like a Ferrari, not a Ford in that regard...saves on the clutch and transmission too

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just like the smooth engagement of the stock shifter when I'm cruising through town. The stock would just slide into place smoothly but with this one it's like every gear has a gate you have to push through to get it there so it makes it a lot harder to shift at that perfect rpm without using the clutch like I use to do with the stocker. Just my .02 cents lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just like the smooth engagement of the stock shifter when I'm cruising through town. The stock would just slide into place smoothly but with this one it's like every gear has a gate you have to push through to get it there so it makes it a lot harder to shift at that perfect rpm without using the clutch like I use to do with the stocker. Just my .02 cents lol
"without using the clutch"? Am I reading this right, you shift without using the clutch?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yeah clutchless shifting like it's the 1930s...great for the transmission...the Pro 5.0 literally snaps into the correct gear with ease, it's really the best one

·
Registered
321 Posts
Occasionally yes. It is possible lol. Just at low rpms though when it slides out of gear and into the next one effortlessly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the stock shifter i always have trouble of getting it to go to reverse. It's like it gets blocked. the only way that I can get it to go into reverse it to put it into first roll a bit then put it into reverse. My friend bought the Mgw and said that the problem went away when he bought a short throw.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think it has to do with synchros, not the shifter. But I could be wrong. Mine is a pain to get in reverse sometimes but getting my MGW didn't effect that. It's been that way for years lol. I just slightly let out the clutch pedal while softly pulling it into reverse then it go's in then I put it in neutral and reverse a couple more times just too make sure it's in there securely and won't pop back out

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts