Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the stuff for the undercoating for your car? i can not remeber what it is called, it starts with a Z is all i know. i know this is a pretty vague description but any if anybody knows what im talking about would be a lot of help. im going to germany in october and i guess they use a ton of salt on the roads and i dont want the undercarrage to rot out on me while im there. thanks in advance for your help.:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't think you can even get a car undercoated now days. The metal coatings they use on today's car bodies protect the sheet metal better than any undercoating. From what I understand undercoating can make maters worse if moisture gets trapped between the undercoating and the sheet metal.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't think you can even get a car undercoated now days. The metal coatings they use on today's car bodies protect the sheet metal better than any undercoating. From what I understand undercoating can make maters worse if moisture gets trapped between the undercoating and the sheet metal.
My sister's '07 WRX came from the factory with a thick tar-like coating all along the underside. I don't know if it is just the WRX's and STi's or if all their cars have it.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
The local road crews are using sodium chloride again, because it's cheaper.

A gal at the quickie mart used to work at a body shop and she said they all undercoated their personal rides, every four years or so.

My truck had rust holes in it, when it was four years old.

HOLES! Imagine your Mustang all rusty? I feel like I am going to throw up.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

A gal at the quickie mart used to work at a body shop and she said they all undercoated their personal rides, every four years or so.

i will definetley get it done after reading this. no way am i gonna risk rust holes in my baby. from what i was told, in germany they throw salt on the roads like McDonalds does thier fries.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Do you know if they did that over here in Washington at all? I have seen them putting down a little salt or something on occasion, but not too often. Usually just a foot or so deep gravel.

I'm scared now though. Last thing I needed was a mental image of a rusty undercarriage.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I had thought about this, but I don't live that close to the beach and I don't envision it snowing where I live anytime soon (maybe a bit further out east) so I guess I won't worry too much.

Rust would likely make me cry. I don't even like the surface rust on the axle. May have to paint that one day.

·
Registered
422 Posts
After rust develops, and if you were to coat the undercarriage, could there be a potential problem? I wouldn't think so simply because when you coat it, you seal it off from further oxidation. The trapped air might rust things just a little more (until all the oxygen has been bound in the rust), but for the most part it would be safe then, right?

You guys are gettin' me all nervous again ;)

And yeah, rust would make me cry too :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
My sister's '07 WRX came from the factory with a thick tar-like coating all along the underside. I don't know if it is just the WRX's and STi's or if all their cars have it.
Thick tar, eh? I remember that on cars in the 70s. I wonder how much weight it adds to the car. :scratchchin

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thick tar, eh? I remember that on cars in the 70s. I wonder how much weight it adds to the car. :scratchchin
No idea...but I don't think it matters in that car. Curb weight is 100 less than my car, with roughly the same horsepower at the wheels as my car...yet still smokes me.

Too bad Mustangs are cooler :)

Edit - Oh yeah, forgot to add that I think they have that on it because of the WRX STi being rooted as an offroad rally car and has to withstand harsher conditions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After rust develops, and if you were to coat the undercarriage, could there be a potential problem? I wouldn't think so simply because when you coat it, you seal it off from further oxidation. The trapped air might rust things just a little more (until all the oxygen has been bound in the rust), but for the most part it would be safe then, right?

You guys are gettin' me all nervous again ;)

And yeah, rust would make me cry too :(

I've always been told that once rust starts it behaves like cancer and keeps spreading, so I would think that sealing it in could potentially worsen matters. One would probably want to treat the rust first. There was a television show I used to watch on Discovery channel, I think, that detailed rebuilds of classic cars. Whenever they got ready to paint, they'd strip the metal bare and treat it with something to deter rust formation. It was mentioned that on bare metal, the oil from so much as a fingerprint would be enough to start the rust process, and that simply painting over it would be the beginning of the end.

All in all, it doesn't snow or ice terribly much down this way. When it does, I'm always sure to spray off the undercarriage after everything melts off the highway.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's true, rust is like cancer in that once a spot begins to rust, it will start to spread. I had always envisioned it as a problem of surface area though, since oxygen must be present iron to rust. As a spot starts to rust, it loses the structure, opening the surrounding metal to more angles of attack, with the process continuing from there. That is why I was curious if you were to just seal the sucker the rust would be cut off from oxygen and no longer spread.

However, if the guy said that to paint over a rust spot would be the end, then maybe it doesn't just halt the cycle (unless if paint is permeable enough to feed in oxygen). The other thing is maybe the oil stopped the paint from adhereing well enough to prevent rust formation, and that is what the guy meant?

I guess the other option is for winter to just quit while it's ahead...been a couple billion years, which is respectable, but I think it's time that winter just goes away! That way, there wouldn't be any reason to spray salt on the road (or at least I hope not...)!

I've always been told that once rust starts it behaves like cancer and keeps spreading, so I would think that sealing it in could potentially worsen matters. One would probably want to treat the rust first. There was a television show I used to watch on Discovery channel, I think, that detailed rebuilds of classic cars. Whenever they got ready to paint, they'd strip the metal bare and treat it with something to deter rust formation. It was mentioned that on bare metal, the oil from so much as a fingerprint would be enough to start the rust process, and that simply painting over it would be the beginning of the end.

All in all, it doesn't snow or ice terribly much down this way. When it does, I'm always sure to spray off the undercarriage after everything melts off the highway.

·
Registered
277 Posts
In years past sometimes the undercoating would cover the drain holes in the body and would trap water causing an even worse disaster down the road.
I can't remember when I last saw a Ziebart store. The dealers used to try to sell undercoating with a new car, haven't heard that story lately either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess the other option is for winter to just quit while it's ahead...been a couple billion years, which is respectable, but I think it's time that winter just goes away! That way, there wouldn't be any reason to spray salt on the road (or at least I hope not...)!

LOL, I agree. Let's just do away with winter and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.