Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Mustang. I've always wanted one, but couldn't afford it. Anyway, I got a V6 with virtually no options - barely above base.

I'm totally new to the world of "modding," and I really don't want to void my warranty. What can I do that won't void it?

My wife wants to have a sunroof installed. Will that void it? What about a new gauge cluster, grille, and/or exhaust system?

Anything that will void the warranty will have to wait 3 years or 36,000 miles, I guess.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
charolee said:
Just bought a Mustang. I've always wanted one, but couldn't afford it. Anyway, I got a V6 with virtually no options - barely above base.

I'm totally new to the world of "modding," and I really don't want to void my warranty. What can I do that won't void it?

My wife wants to have a sunroof installed. Will that void it? What about a new gauge cluster, grille, and/or exhaust system?

Anything that will void the warranty will have to wait 3 years or 36,000 miles, I guess.

Thanks in advance.
none of what you mentioned will void the warranty. The new parts you put on will not be covered, and any body damage (rust, etc) caused by the sunroof will not be covered -but that's fair enough, eh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Anyone know how much a sunroof will cost (ballpark)? Also, does anyone have a pic of a 05-06 w/ a sunroof? I'd like to see one before I commit to having one installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
I suspect you won't see a lot of 05/06 Mustangs with sun roofs. Thats a mod that some might think more appropriate on a family sedan rather than a muscle car. I recall seeing posts on other forums of one or two different OEM-look sun roofs. I don't recall, however, what they were selling for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
charolee said:
Thanks for the reply! Anyone know how much a sunroof will cost (ballpark)? Also, does anyone have a pic of a 05-06 w/ a sunroof? I'd like to see one before I commit to having one installed.
Classic Design Concepts sells an entire glass roof!
 
G

·
sunroof? are ye mad laddie? you march right into the bedroom tonight and say" hey woman ..this is my car...a mans car...your mans car" and tell her she'll have no say in what mods you get...no sunroof...anyway...you didnt mention what type of exhaust system...it could void a few things....instead of the sunroof...get gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
Drip, Drip, Drip

I would be scared to rip large holes in my new pony as well. How can I be sure of leaks, good seals between the roof and rubber. Will it corrode without notice???

A lifetime ago, I bought a 1979 Mustang Cobra off the showroom floor. The first thing I did was to put a sunroof. I regreted it the second I heard the saw rip through my roof... It is nothing you cannot take back.

Good luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
i know 2 ford dealers in houston who do the conversion for less than $1500 and i think they do a lifetime warranty.it looks nice from inside and out . they reuse the existing headliner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
They do the same in San Diego.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
charolee said:
Just bought a Mustang. I've always wanted one, but couldn't afford it. Anyway, I got a V6 with virtually no options - barely above base.

I'm totally new to the world of "modding," and I really don't want to void my warranty. What can I do that won't void it?

My wife wants to have a sunroof installed. Will that void it? What about a new gauge cluster, grille, and/or exhaust system?

Anything that will void the warranty will have to wait 3 years or 36,000 miles, I guess.

Thanks in advance.
I truly wish people would quit using the phrase "void my warranty". Ford cannot void your warranty, period. It is illegal. If they can attribute the cause of failure to an aftermarket product then they have the right ( and will dang sure exercise it ) to deny a warranty claim for that failure. But forget the term "void my warranty" ever existed.

Here, maybe this will help. This is an interview with someone from Ford.


Modifying Warranty Awareness

Know that when you modify your vehicle, you may also be affecting warranty coverage Editor's Note:

A recent article in the SVT Enthusiast discussed the pros and cons of changing engine drive pulleys to help enhance power and performance. The story noted that one of the drawbacks to such an aftermarket modification is the possible effect it would have on the owner's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. When SVT's own Tom Scarpello read the story, he felt that the whole vehicle modification vs. warranty issue is one that deserves a little more than a cursory explanation, especially to performance-savvy SVT vehicle owners. So he asked Joe Bradley, the Manager of Ford's Warranty Analysis department, to add a little perspective on how certain vehicle modifications can affect the service life of some factory parts or systems, and how that may subsequently affect the factory vehicle warranty. The following is Joe's report.

By Joe Bradley

As you might expect from the company that formed SVT, the Ford Motor Company has many employees who are true performance enthusiasts -- folks who love and care for their personal high-performance vehicles as much as or more than the next guy or gal. Many of us, in fact, are true "weekend warriors" who can be found at the local drag strip or road course on Saturdays and Sundays, and tinkering under the hood during weekday evenings getting ready for the next event. As automotive enthusiasts, we certainly can appreciate performance machinery.

That said, as Ford employees we all want to do the right thing for our customers as well as for the Ford Motor Company. That is precisely why it is important to have a concise, easy-to-understand policy with regard to Ford warranty administration. For vehicles that are not modified, the Ford warranty policy is clear – the company backs its products within the guidelines of the new vehicle limited warranty, which is designed to protect the customer from defects in factory workmanship and/or material.

However, in the case of vehicles that have been modified, one needs to understand that the modifications may affect warranty coverage. This is simply because any damage or failure of new vehicle components or systems that was caused by modifications to the vehicle are not defects in "factory supplied" workmanship or material.

To illustrate this point, let's consider a small sample of vehicle modifications and see how they might affect factory components or systems: When it comes to changing the factory engine drive pulleys, there are some powertrain system and component concerns that deserve consideration. One would be any electrical and/or charging system problems that arise because of reduced alternator operating speed caused by the installation of underdrive pulleys. After all, the performance and serviceability of many system components are based on certain design parameters that include operating speed. The same goes for problems stemming from higher cooling system temperatures because of reduced water pump flow caused by the installation of underdrive pulleys. Increased underhood temperatures caused by owner-induced changes to a factory design-specification part can have a detrimental effect on any number of powertrain components or systems – some that may have long-range implications. And things can get even more serious when supercharger pulley changes are made, including head gasket leaks and piston and connecting rod failures. Also possible is piston damage due to detonation from improper air/fuel and timing modifications.

The installation of any non-factory forced induction system can also cause problems. Base engines modified with aftermarket superchargers, turbochargers or nitrous oxide injection systems may indeed bring about some power gains, but they can cause piston, connecting rod and/or crankshaft failures as well.

Other parts of a vehicle's factory-spec drivetrain are also susceptible to damage when engine torque and horsepower is increased. Performance chips or other power-enhancing devices increase torque loads on the driveline and can force failure of the transmission and/or rear axle. The latter problem can be especially true when owners switch to wider tires or racing slicks in an effort to increase traction. Even non "go-fast" aftermarket accessories such as remote starters, alarms, supplementary gauges and audio equipment can cause electrical system service problems if they are installed incorrectly or have improper connections.

When it comes to fairly evaluating the possibility of a warranty denial, there's one simple rule of thumb to follow: Although the installation of non-Ford parts and aftermarket modifications, by themselves, will not void the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty, failures that result from these parts and/or modifications may result in a denial of warranty coverage for such failures or damage.

The bottom line is, Ford Motor Company wants each of its owners to enjoy their product to the fullest extent – and that includes performance vehicles. But dealer service technicians have seen, and continue to see, that modifications may cause the original design to fail. The addition of aftermarket parts is a risk that each and every vehicle owner must evaluate for themselves. All that's needed is a reasonable dose of common sense. When and if you modify your vehicle, please consider whether the modification may cause another component to fail – and if it does, recognize that warranty coverage for that failure or damage will likely be denied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
kscoyote said:
Classic Design Concepts sells an entire glass roof!
Actually i don't think they are selling it quite yet... The price has been TBD for months and months... I've seen CDC's car and the MRT 2004 SEMA car has the glassback also... it is very very cool! I might seriously think about it... if they ever officially release it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
hawgman said:
I truly wish people would quit using the phrase "void my warranty". Ford cannot void your warranty, period. It is illegal. If they can attribute the cause of failure to an aftermarket product then they have the right ( and will dang sure exercise it ) to deny a warranty claim for that failure. But forget the term "void my warranty" ever existed.

Here, maybe this will help. This is an interview with someone from Ford.


Modifying Warranty Awareness

Know that when you modify your vehicle, you may also be affecting warranty coverage Editor's Note:

A recent article in the SVT Enthusiast discussed the pros and cons of changing engine drive pulleys to help enhance power and performance. The story noted that one of the drawbacks to such an aftermarket modification is the possible effect it would have on the owner's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. When SVT's own Tom Scarpello read the story, he felt that the whole vehicle modification vs. warranty issue is one that deserves a little more than a cursory explanation, especially to performance-savvy SVT vehicle owners. So he asked Joe Bradley, the Manager of Ford's Warranty Analysis department, to add a little perspective on how certain vehicle modifications can affect the service life of some factory parts or systems, and how that may subsequently affect the factory vehicle warranty. The following is Joe's report.

By Joe Bradley

As you might expect from the company that formed SVT, the Ford Motor Company has many employees who are true performance enthusiasts -- folks who love and care for their personal high-performance vehicles as much as or more than the next guy or gal. Many of us, in fact, are true "weekend warriors" who can be found at the local drag strip or road course on Saturdays and Sundays, and tinkering under the hood during weekday evenings getting ready for the next event. As automotive enthusiasts, we certainly can appreciate performance machinery.

That said, as Ford employees we all want to do the right thing for our customers as well as for the Ford Motor Company. That is precisely why it is important to have a concise, easy-to-understand policy with regard to Ford warranty administration. For vehicles that are not modified, the Ford warranty policy is clear – the company backs its products within the guidelines of the new vehicle limited warranty, which is designed to protect the customer from defects in factory workmanship and/or material.

However, in the case of vehicles that have been modified, one needs to understand that the modifications may affect warranty coverage. This is simply because any damage or failure of new vehicle components or systems that was caused by modifications to the vehicle are not defects in "factory supplied" workmanship or material.

To illustrate this point, let's consider a small sample of vehicle modifications and see how they might affect factory components or systems: When it comes to changing the factory engine drive pulleys, there are some powertrain system and component concerns that deserve consideration. One would be any electrical and/or charging system problems that arise because of reduced alternator operating speed caused by the installation of underdrive pulleys. After all, the performance and serviceability of many system components are based on certain design parameters that include operating speed. The same goes for problems stemming from higher cooling system temperatures because of reduced water pump flow caused by the installation of underdrive pulleys. Increased underhood temperatures caused by owner-induced changes to a factory design-specification part can have a detrimental effect on any number of powertrain components or systems – some that may have long-range implications. And things can get even more serious when supercharger pulley changes are made, including head gasket leaks and piston and connecting rod failures. Also possible is piston damage due to detonation from improper air/fuel and timing modifications.

The installation of any non-factory forced induction system can also cause problems. Base engines modified with aftermarket superchargers, turbochargers or nitrous oxide injection systems may indeed bring about some power gains, but they can cause piston, connecting rod and/or crankshaft failures as well.

Other parts of a vehicle's factory-spec drivetrain are also susceptible to damage when engine torque and horsepower is increased. Performance chips or other power-enhancing devices increase torque loads on the driveline and can force failure of the transmission and/or rear axle. The latter problem can be especially true when owners switch to wider tires or racing slicks in an effort to increase traction. Even non "go-fast" aftermarket accessories such as remote starters, alarms, supplementary gauges and audio equipment can cause electrical system service problems if they are installed incorrectly or have improper connections.

When it comes to fairly evaluating the possibility of a warranty denial, there's one simple rule of thumb to follow: Although the installation of non-Ford parts and aftermarket modifications, by themselves, will not void the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty, failures that result from these parts and/or modifications may result in a denial of warranty coverage for such failures or damage.

The bottom line is, Ford Motor Company wants each of its owners to enjoy their product to the fullest extent – and that includes performance vehicles. But dealer service technicians have seen, and continue to see, that modifications may cause the original design to fail. The addition of aftermarket parts is a risk that each and every vehicle owner must evaluate for themselves. All that's needed is a reasonable dose of common sense. When and if you modify your vehicle, please consider whether the modification may cause another component to fail – and if it does, recognize that warranty coverage for that failure or damage will likely be denied.
I agree w/ the higher engine temp under the hood and the fan going constantly since adding the UDP's.
:sosad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
the sunroof isn't too exspensive we put them in 6ers all the time here at my dealership( we have a sunroof place do it) and the customers seem to like em' we even did a g.t. about a week ago for a customer...he loves it...i drove the car and the headliner hangs down a bit lower so if your tall go check one out before cutting it.....but asc makes a good one.....:cool:
 
G

·
hawgman said:
I truly wish people would quit using the phrase "void my warranty". Ford cannot void your warranty, period. It is illegal. If they can attribute the cause of failure to an aftermarket product then they have the right ( and will dang sure exercise it ) to deny a warranty claim for that failure. But forget the term "void my warranty" ever existed.

Here, maybe this will help. This is an interview with someone from Ford.




Modifying Warranty Awareness​


Know that when you modify your vehicle, you may also be affecting warranty coverage Editor's Note:

A recent article in the SVT Enthusiast discussed the pros and cons of changing engine drive pulleys to help enhance power and performance. The story noted that one of the drawbacks to such an aftermarket modification is the possible effect it would have on the owner's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. When SVT's own Tom Scarpello read the story, he felt that the whole vehicle modification vs. warranty issue is one that deserves a little more than a cursory explanation, especially to performance-savvy SVT vehicle owners. So he asked Joe Bradley, the Manager of Ford's Warranty Analysis department, to add a little perspective on how certain vehicle modifications can affect the service life of some factory parts or systems, and how that may subsequently affect the factory vehicle warranty. The following is Joe's report.

By Joe Bradley

As you might expect from the company that formed SVT, the Ford Motor Company has many employees who are true performance enthusiasts -- folks who love and care for their personal high-performance vehicles as much as or more than the next guy or gal. Many of us, in fact, are true "weekend warriors" who can be found at the local drag strip or road course on Saturdays and Sundays, and tinkering under the hood during weekday evenings getting ready for the next event. As automotive enthusiasts, we certainly can appreciate performance machinery.

That said, as Ford employees we all want to do the right thing for our customers as well as for the Ford Motor Company. That is precisely why it is important to have a concise, easy-to-understand policy with regard to Ford warranty administration. For vehicles that are not modified, the Ford warranty policy is clear – the company backs its products within the guidelines of the new vehicle limited warranty, which is designed to protect the customer from defects in factory workmanship and/or material.

However, in the case of vehicles that have been modified, one needs to understand that the modifications may affect warranty coverage. This is simply because any damage or failure of new vehicle components or systems that was caused by modifications to the vehicle are not defects in "factory supplied" workmanship or material.

To illustrate this point, let's consider a small sample of vehicle modifications and see how they might affect factory components or systems: When it comes to changing the factory engine drive pulleys, there are some powertrain system and component concerns that deserve consideration. One would be any electrical and/or charging system problems that arise because of reduced alternator operating speed caused by the installation of underdrive pulleys. After all, the performance and serviceability of many system components are based on certain design parameters that include operating speed. The same goes for problems stemming from higher cooling system temperatures because of reduced water pump flow caused by the installation of underdrive pulleys. Increased underhood temperatures caused by owner-induced changes to a factory design-specification part can have a detrimental effect on any number of powertrain components or systems – some that may have long-range implications. And things can get even more serious when supercharger pulley changes are made, including head gasket leaks and piston and connecting rod failures. Also possible is piston damage due to detonation from improper air/fuel and timing modifications.

The installation of any non-factory forced induction system can also cause problems. Base engines modified with aftermarket superchargers, turbochargers or nitrous oxide injection systems may indeed bring about some power gains, but they can cause piston, connecting rod and/or crankshaft failures as well.

Other parts of a vehicle's factory-spec drivetrain are also susceptible to damage when engine torque and horsepower is increased. Performance chips or other power-enhancing devices increase torque loads on the driveline and can force failure of the transmission and/or rear axle. The latter problem can be especially true when owners switch to wider tires or racing slicks in an effort to increase traction. Even non "go-fast" aftermarket accessories such as remote starters, alarms, supplementary gauges and audio equipment can cause electrical system service problems if they are installed incorrectly or have improper connections.

When it comes to fairly evaluating the possibility of a warranty denial, there's one simple rule of thumb to follow: Although the installation of non-Ford parts and aftermarket modifications, by themselves, will not void the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty, failures that result from these parts and/or modifications may result in a denial of warranty coverage for such failures or damage.

The bottom line is, Ford Motor Company wants each of its owners to enjoy their product to the fullest extent – and that includes performance vehicles. But dealer service technicians have seen, and continue to see, that modifications may cause the original design to fail. The addition of aftermarket parts is a risk that each and every vehicle owner must evaluate for themselves. All that's needed is a reasonable dose of common sense. When and if you modify your vehicle, please consider whether the modification may cause another component to fail – and if it does, recognize that warranty coverage for that failure or damage will likely be denied.
so if i understand this....they cannot "void your warranty" but certain modifications will result in them "denying your warranty"....isnt that sort of like 6 of one and half dozen of the other? same result...hmmmmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
nghtrnnr said:
so if i understand this....they cannot "void your warranty" but certain modifications will result in them "denying your warranty"....isnt that sort of like 6 of one and half dozen of the other? same result...hmmmmmm
They have the right to deny a warranty claim that they feel is the result of an aftermarket part being installed. No, it is not voiding the warranty. If you install a CAI and you have a transmission seal go out, there is no connection between the two. They cannot "void your warranty" because you have installed the CAI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
sonny1213 said:
I agree w/ the higher engine temp under the hood and the fan going constantly since adding the UDP's.
:sosad:
EH2O pump will cure that. My car has yet to get above 180 since I installed it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
hawgman said:
EH2O pump will cure that. My car has yet to get above 180 since I installed it.
That's going in my '06 next along with UDPs. What belt did you have to use?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top