Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it were me, and I was told by my boss to design a sports car that will be sold globally, I would follow the direction of Corvette Stingray or Dodge Viper:

1) Maintain its distinctive exterior design from the rest of the corporation models. I would not design a Mustang that looks like a Fusion or Fiesta in the front.

2) I would make some revolutionary changes to enhance the aerodynamics of the car. A wedge shaped car isn't bad. This could potentially increase the drag based max speed, MPG, and even 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance.

3) Yes, I would also make the car lighter and smaller, although I will make sure its exterior is more spacious than that of a Miata.

4) I would design a transmission that is as smooth as that of a Miata or S2000.

The Stingray seems to be a big success. A friend told me that a lot of the Chevy dealers are selling Stingrays $5000 to $10000 above MSRP.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm fine with what they are doing with the '15 5.0, they can't make it like a corvette or viper or they'll have to up the price a lot.
What could do is remake a mach 1 or whichever they choose to compete with the z/28.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
They should have kept the retro appearance in a smaller package with ecoboost versions of the same engines.

Making it look like a Fusion was the wrong way to go, IMHO. If I wanted a Fusion, I damn sure woulda bought one.

Each time they redesign the Mustang to not look like a Mustang is expected to look (Fox, SN95), it hurts the marque.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
They should have kept the retro appearance in a smaller package with ecoboost versions of the same engines.

Making it look like a Fusion was the wrong way to go, IMHO. If I wanted a Fusion, I damn sure woulda bought one.

Each time they redesign the Mustang to not look like a Mustang is expected to look (Fox, SN95), it hurts the marque.
This months Car Driver stated that the new Mustang is no longer a stand along design team effort. It's a across the board design input from all divisions. I would expect as the years go forth the Mustang will look like all other Ford products. Up to 2013 the Mustang design team had full design authority, no more! GM did that for many years and lost market share big time. I can tell you for me if that's happens I will be looking at purchasing a Corvette very soon. Ford should no better! facepalm.gif

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts
If I were the design lead what would it look like?

It would look like THIS:

But it would be smaller, lighter, and faster, with a proper suspension and brake package right from the get-go.

S

·
0 Posts
I don't really know what all the Panic is aboutconfused013.gif .......The S550 will Look just Fine!......The latest renditions up in the 2015 Spec. Thread are probably Very Close........
Sean.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Car & Driver Magazine has renderings that the staff believes are accurate depictions of the 2015 Mustang. Until Ford debuts the 2015 Mustang, I have a wait and see attitude. The 500 HP version of the Coyote peaks my interest, and it is the only reason I would buy a 2015; more affordable power.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I'm fine with what it possibly could look like. They'll have all the bases covered. You can get any type of Mustang you want. From 4 cylinder Eco boost to V6s and V8s in a wide range of body styles from different years. I'm more interested in something Sqidd mentioned, in another thread, that there might be a rebirth of the Cobra in a few years. And because of that, if I was leading the design team, I'd be pushing for a real close resemblance to the 70 Fastback along with the Eco-stangs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't worry, if Mustang is going that direciton, our S197 ones will become collector's favorite very soon. :wavey

This months Car Driver stated that the new Mustang is no longer a stand along design team effort. It's a across the board design input from all divisions. I would expect as the years go forth the Mustang will look like all other Ford products. Up to 2013 the Mustang design team had full design authority, no more! GM did that for many years and lost market share big time. I can tell you for me if that's happens I will be looking at purchasing a Corvette very soon. Ford should no better! facepalm.gif

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My two favorite Mustang body styles.
I like the car and driver rendering. It looks great!

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Moved to S550 section.

S

·
0 Posts
Don't admins still moderate? I mean can't you do all the same things they can do?
Yeah, we still can, and do Moderate sCH_copcar.gif....Just Puffing my Chest Out a bit!
Thats All:heha:

Sean.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If I would be the design leader I would have focused to keep this different looking aggressive Front ( magnet for european carenthusiasts) europeans got enough frog looking P.O.S. That they have to deal with allready.

So yeah I would have focused more into stabilizing the allready brilliant developed body.

I would leave the downsizing watertesting, where it belong to...china!

I would also kick some serious azzes in marketing as the Mustang shouldnt get renewed every year.

On a sidenote though:
I would also ditch the idea of rocketing a mustang with eco-boost.

Before my office would start to work I would start every morning with this prayer or oath, kind of...everyone should stand up lay his right hand onto his left chest and reapeat after me:

Built with american proud

Mustang is different/
Mustang is a legend/
Mustang doesnt need eco boost to last as a legend!
Mustang is a Magnet and a legend just right because its different

Cheers!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts