Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me say that I am just learning about the more in-depth mechanical and modding aspects of cars, and that I can probably find most this information from Google. The reason for posting this is more out of curiosity than anything right now, but could be quite a reality in the coming years and what you guys post will help and mean a lot to me, and provide me with much more beneficial knowledge than I would find on Google.

Basically, as far as the most realistic option price wise, I was thinking of the "5.0L/302 CID SMALL BLOCK 390 HP "Z" HEAD FORD RACING PERFORMANCE CRATE ENGINE ASSEMBLY" found here Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-6007-Z50Z*] on the Ford Racing website. It would be as a swap out of my V6 engine.

It's price is $6,199.00, which from the LOOKS of it isn't a terribly huge difference from buying a supercharger. Since this is an engine producing more HP than a supercharged V6 (without major work), it would still be able to go higher yet if I do throw a super on.

But, I have learned from my dad (who is more mechanically inclined than I) that the price you see is not really the true price with a lot of things, since you will probably have to change a myriad of other components to support the engine. I would ask him the question I am about to ask you guys, but since he bought me this car about half a year and 6,004 miles ago there is NO WAY I am about to tell him that I was considering putting a new engine in, since I'm afraid he would get mad and see me as just being a bratty kid (I would feel the same way if the roles were reversed).

So, to the heart of the matter: what would dropping this engine in entail (not counting labor, of course)? What kinds of other things would I have to buy or consider buying for my car to support this engine? Would you guys recommend doing something like this (considering that I have noticed some people seeing this as the "easy way out" instead of building an engine up; something I could easy live with)?

·
Registered
121 Posts
You'd end up spending a hell of a lot of money to go that route, probably more than trading for a low mileage 06-07 GT, assuming the dealer will pay your car off, for around 20k and buying a S/C 'kit' for five grand or so with everything you need. Some of those S/C and Turbo 'kits' I've seen are pretty much do-it-yourself things anyways.

By the looks of things, your dad bought you a V6 for a reason. You may just tick him off with all this talk, he probably doesn't want you killing yourself by putting in more power than you really need to get you from point A to point B.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If you want something faster than a S/C V6, then when you graduate, trade it in for a low miles GT and mod it. or if you are just that hell bent on getting a motor, maybe get a motor from a 03 mach1 or cobra? Or hey! heres an idea! Go to the junkyard, is quite possible a kid around our age has wrecked a GT in that area. Maybe see if you can snag a S197 4.6 engine. A brand new crate motor is probably too much money and hassle and computer work for ya pocket. Kind of why i havent done the motor part of my modding list yet bwecasue of the lack of that much funds. there are alternatives to this. What is your goal for this car, if there is one?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Unless you make major mods to even a GT its not going to be 390 HP, and I would think his dad would not be happy about getting rid of a car he just bought. However, to make the stock V6 handle that much power, there are probably a lot of upgrades necessary, which was Charlie's original question. Driveshaft? Definitely exhaust, from the engine all the way back. Probably want suspension upgrades. Will definitely need a better rear end. Transmission?

At any rate, I think you're talking a heck of a lot of money besides the layout for the engine itself.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I mean suspension and exhaust mods are already part of my plan for this car, so I wouldn't really factor that in.

The other thing about waiting until I graduate is that I won't for 9 years. I essentially have 4 years of "freedom" before I plan to go to med. school, which I assume won't be anything but brutal.

Like I said, this post was more of a curiousity thing for now. Just something to give me a more realistic idea of what it would take to drop in a new engine.

Some people mentioned getting a GT. I have thought about that before, but that would leave me in the same place as before with my dad. At least with a new engine he would be able to help me with it and we could do it together (I know he would seriously love that) as a bonding thing.

As far as getting a V6 on purpose for low HP; we got this car because was the price was right more than anything. I mean my sister has been driving a few months and she just got an STi that my dad got a couple months before I got mine (so it is the fun one before Subaru screwed up the turbo :) ) which will kick my car's ass without trying.

Most likely I am going to throw a super on this car (as the only major power adder) and call it good.

The other option, like someone said, is to get a 4.6L V8, or find one in a wrecked GT and swap that in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not sure if you paid the sticker on your car.. but you can get a 06-07 GT that's been sitting a garage with maybe 2k or less miles for 20 or so. Like the poster above said, you're possibly going to have to mod the suspension like crazy. I'm not sure what they did with the S197 V6's, I don't think it's the same stuff as the V8's like they used to. At least if you had a GT you could handle over 400-500+ HP stock without any major suspension mods because these cars were built to have power added to them.

If you're looking to do a father son project, why not get a 4 cylinder foxbody for a couple hundred bucks and do a LS1 swap and tear up any stock S197 you see :hihi:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless I'm looking at the wrong LS1, wouldn't that be sacrilegious?

Not sure if you paid the sticker on your car.. but you can get a 06-07 GT that's been sitting a garage with maybe 2k or less miles for 20 or so. Like the poster above said, you're possibly going to have to mod the suspension like crazy. I'm not sure what they did with the S197 V6's, I don't think it's the same stuff as the V8's like they used to. At least if you had a GT you could handle over 400-500+ HP stock without any major suspension mods because these cars were built to have power added to them.

If you're looking to do a father son project, why not get a 4 cylinder foxbody for a couple hundred bucks and do a LS1 swap and tear up any stock S197 you see :hihi:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nah, people do it all the time. Chevy motor in a Ford, what's wrong with it?

Of course.. I was into Chevy's before I bought my Mustang, so I'm a bit impartial.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Of course.. I was into Chevy's before I bought my Mustang, so I'm a bit impartial.
I would think it would spontaneously combust if I were to do that :nogrinner

But you were saying put it into an older fox body Mustang or my S197, because truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of the fox body Mustang looks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and as far as the whole added power to a V6, I will probably be replacing all the suspension and that type of stuff with take-offs from a GT, since it is cheap and would probably hold up to much more power.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but we did some work for a guy who put a twin turbo SBF in his 69 Camaro.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
As someone just getting into the finer points of engines, and no kid, I have a couple of points to make. I recently helped a friend drop a new crate engine into his BMW. Obviously, there's the cost of the engine. Don't forget that the new engine may not bolt up to your existing tranny, and more than likely you're looking at a new exhaust, and maybe even a new or modified driveshaft. Of course, the engine mounts will most likely be different, and don't forget all new hoses, fluids, possibly a new computer module, and anything you happen to break getting the new engine in place. Now, you've got the engine in place, but the suspension wasn't designed to handle that extra weight, so you're probably looking at new springs at least. And I assume you have all the tools required to do this work?
To replace the engine in the BMW with an identical engine took us all of two hours.

Enjoy the car, and do your mods; you can do plenty with a V6. After Med school, go for what you want. Who knows, your tastes may even change.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
This is similar to that thread a few weeks ago where that guy wanted to try and turn a sixer into a GT. There's just too much crap to change in the V6 to really justify going that route IMO. It would be more beneficial to just trade in the GT and mod it.

Also, I'm not sure how well that carburated engine would work with the cars' computer. Computer that is expecting an efi engine + non-EFI engine = oil and water to me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As someone just getting into the finer points of engines, and no kid, I have a couple of points to make. I recently helped a friend drop a new crate engine into his BMW. Obviously, there's the cost of the engine. Don't forget that the new engine may not bolt up to your existing tranny, and more than likely you're looking at a new exhaust, and maybe even a new or modified driveshaft. Of course, the engine mounts will most likely be different, and don't forget all new hoses, fluids, possibly a new computer module, and anything you happen to break getting the new engine in place. Now, you've got the engine in place, but the suspension wasn't designed to handle that extra weight, so you're probably looking at new springs at least. And I assume you have all the tools required to do this work?
To replace the engine in the BMW with an identical engine took us all of two hours.

Enjoy the car, and do your mods; you can do plenty with a V6. After Med school, go for what you want. Who knows, your tastes may even change.
We're fully equipped for the most part (the only thing we're missing is a full car lift). Tools, engine mounts, all of that kind of fun stuff.

I know it would still be a lot of work, and the thing is that stuff like suspension would be replaced with or without putting in a new engine, so I'm not really counting it into the price really. I meant more in terms of stuff under the hood. The most obvious is a new oil pan and computer, but past that I don't know. Also, since it fits the car according to the Ford Racing website, so that should make things much easier.

Like I said, if I did get it, I wouldn't be doing this by myself. I would do it with my dad who has rebuilt engines and all that kind of stuff before; he's very knowledged in the field.

And replacing an engine in a BMW?? Those cars are too much money for me to consider something like that! You're a brave man ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is similar to that thread a few weeks ago where that guy wanted to try and turn a sixer into a GT. There's just too much crap to change in the V6 to really justify going that route IMO. It would be more beneficial to just trade in the GT and mod it.

Also, I'm not sure how well that carburated engine would work with the cars' computer. Computer that is expecting an efi engine + non-EFI engine = oil and water to me.
Oh alright. I'll try to find that thread.

And I'm guessing I would change out the computer completely if I did put in a new engine since the computers are getting so complicated and seemingly more and more engine specific.

Also, I don't really want to trade this in because I already have quite a few things installed in there (on the interior anyways, as you already know) like that touchscreen and power wires and speakers. It is also the perfect 'Stang for my preferences, short of the engine missing a few cylinders.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Oh alright. I'll try to find that thread.

And I'm guessing I would change out the computer completely if I did put in a new engine since the computers are getting so complicated and seemingly more and more engine specific.

Also, I don't really want to trade this in because I already have quite a few things installed in there (on the interior anyways, as you already know) like that touchscreen and power wires and speakers. It is also the perfect 'Stang for my preferences, short of the engine missing a few cylinders.
Unless you are hankering for a buttload of power, you may be well served to go FI with your sixer. There are some good options out there and I'm sure you could forge the internals and port the heads if you desired to do so. As far as changing the engine out, don't forget all the wiring that involves that as well. Good luck finding that.

I mean, unless you are a glutton for punishment, I can't see a logical reason to try and make the switch like that, but that's just me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless you are hankering for a buttload of power, you may be well served to go FI with your sixer. There are some good options out there and I'm sure you could forge the internals and port the heads if you desired to do so. As far as changing the engine out, don't forget all the wiring that involves that as well. Good luck finding that.

I mean, unless you are a glutton for punishment, I can't see a logical reason to try and make the switch like that, but that's just me.
Besides power, I wanted something I can do with my dad before I head off to college. Kinda like a last chance bonding project, ya know? We'll still live in the same town (which is nice), but I won't be living with them and probably won't see them too often.

He is very good at and knowledged in engine/mechanic/car work, so I wouldn't be worried about that. And as for the wiring, he is an electrical engineer, and even headed a division his company created for him to manage production of a computer system he designed. I would think we have the tools and equipment, and have the mechanical, electrical, and computer knowledge resources to get the job done.

I also know next to nothing about the more advanced aspects of working on a car, so I see this as a potentially huge learning experience.

With the new engine, if I ever wanted MORE power, I can then throw on some type of FI, which is why I like the new engine idea since it isn't a whole load more than a forced induction system.

Plus then it will be a V8 producing more horespower and at about the same price of trading in for a GT.:scratchchin

·
Registered
541 Posts
Unless you and your dad are experienced at engine swaps, especially on newer cars, and wiring, tuning, etc. This is a very risky and expensive option.

You would be better served to spend that time with your dad fishing, or doing power mods to the V6, I know guys with 370hp+ V6 mustangs. It's possible, and probably not any more expensive, but alot less complicated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unless you and your dad are experienced at engine swaps, especially on newer cars, and wiring, tuning, etc. This is a very risky and expensive option.

You would be better served to spend that time with your dad fishing, or doing power mods to the V6, I know guys with 370hp+ V6 mustangs. It's possible, and probably not any more expensive, but alot less complicated.
Well he seemed to know what was going on when I asked him some questions while I was jumping an old truck of ours.

In all honesty, a new engine would be so nice, but part of me knew it wouldn't really happen. 99% sure that power mods will and always have been the route for me, but there is still that 1%....:scratchchin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.