Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought this 2000 mustang about a year ago from this POS of an owner who has failed to have stated anything correct about this car except it was GT and had a 5-speed in it. He claimed, when i bought it, that it had a stage 3 racing clutch in it. I honestly did not care about it that much that he raced it because it was a "clean car" so i thought at first... Within the first 4 weeks of owning it i was learning how to drive the car, first manual ive owned that ran the clutch became constantly tighter as if it was binding and it even made inconsistent popping sounds. Pretty soon it got so bad you could not even push it down far enough to start it, and if you did you would have to keep it in first and that is the only gear you had. Since i am enrolled in an Auto Shop program that my school has it was towed up there and i began to look at it. My original plan was to replace the clutch with a factory clutch, my teacher then pointed out that the cable also had to be replaced since it was an aftermarket cable as well as the quadrant. Once it was racked up i removed the cable and found it was seized up and that was the issue all along. To make a long story somewhat shorter, i replaced the cable with a factory style cable and replaced the quadrant with the OEM quadrant as well as removed the firewall adjuster. Now after i got it running again ive been having the issue of the limits of the OEM set up. i have about 1/2" of free play before i actually start to pull on the clutch cable and within the first 1/4" is when the clutch actually engages. Would an aftermarket adjuster work with the factory quadrant and cable or will i have to upgrade to an aftermarket cable/quadrant, And will this help with my clutch issue or will i need to start planning on replacing the clutch? Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If I were you I would look into getting a maximum motorsports firewall adjuster and quadrant and I believe you can keep the stock cable. If you look on there website they supply what they call to be just like a stock cable with there kits. What you should do is probably call them directly and just simply ask if you can use a stock cable with there firewall adjuster and quadrant. It will give you the adjust ability that I think you are going for. While installing mine I called them just to ask a question and they were great to talk to and very helpful. I have their firewall adjuster, quadrant, and cable and it works great and is good quality!

Have you tried to pull up on the clutch pedal and try the stock adjustment? Someone else might chime in on if the clutch needs to be replaced, in my experience though, it will slip and cause shifting problems if its a wore out clutch but that is just my opinion.

This is the kit I bought:
Clutch Cable, Quadrant, and Firewall Adjuster Package

If they say you can use the stock cable you have then you could try this kit to save some money:
Mustang Clutch Quadrant and Firewall Adjuster Package

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lackey! It does not slip and it does grab hard if you are not careful. The stock quadrant is at the maximum adjustment and it will not put any more tension on the cable than already there. I did not look at MM set up but i saw UPR had a locking firewall adjuster and a "quick release" quadrant, no clue what that means but hey its $50. I will, however look at MM when i get the chance and i hope to make a decision sometime today depending on what happens after i change the fluid. In my opinion it feels like the clutch is still slightly engaged when the pedal is fully depressed because it grinds intermittently going into 2nd and 5th. As well as it is hard to shift into reverse and 1st sometimes when you are at a dead stop so i hope that the issue is with one of the two things i plan on looking at. Thanks again Lackey!

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the MM cable, quadrant, adjuster set that Lackey posted. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts