Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raced my friend with a 92 civic hatch, he has a Integra GS-R motor swap in it, and thats all... He was able to beat my 2002 V6 mustang, with true duel exhaust and CAI... My car is an Auto, where his is a Manual... But i want tobe able to beat him... What else would i need to buy to be able to beat him... Im not wanting to do big ticket items... i could spend like $400-$500... Also i was thinkin about a shift kit... what will it really do for my car? ( my friend was able to beat me by about 1.5 cars...) so he did not kill me... but he only has like 175 HP... I think with my upgrades i have like 210-220?... what do you guys think i need to buy next?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Kmagn13 said:
I raced my friend with a 92 civic hatch, he has a Integra GS-R motor swap in it, and thats all... He was able to beat my 2002 V6 mustang, with true duel exhaust and CAI... My car is an Auto, where his is a Manual... But i want tobe able to beat him... What else would i need to buy to be able to beat him... Im not wanting to do big ticket items... i could spend like $400-$500... Also i was thinkin about a shift kit... what will it really do for my car? ( my friend was able to beat me by about 1.5 cars...) so he did not kill me... but he only has like 175 HP... I think with my upgrades i have like 210-220?... what do you guys think i need to buy next?
Need to know a couple of things . ..

what are you calling "true dual" exhuast? What's the diameter of the pipes?

What kind of CAI are you using?

What size are your wheels & tires?

How badly did he beat you?

Do you know how to powerbrake? What RPM did you launch?

for your budget, the best bang for your buck is going to be a set of 42% underdrivers from rpmoutlet.com

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Kmagn13 said:
with your upgrades, you're running anywhere from 180-212

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
kscoyote said:
with your upgrades, you're running anywhere from 180-212
180-212? are u talkin about rear wheel horse power because im pretty sure the 2002's came with 195 hp?

if it were me i would get a superchip and a throttle body spacer. the chip would give you about 15 hp and about 25 lbs/ft of torque. the throttle body spacer dosen't do much for hp only about 5, but it is awsome for throttle response. i dont have alot of experience with shifter kits so i dont know how effective they are.

those gs-r integra's are pretty tough, i raced one before i had my chip and ran about even but he edged his way ahead at the end.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
ohh i forgot those two mods will run ya around $350

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
tex117 said:
180-212? are u talkin about rear wheel horse power because im pretty sure the 2002's came with 195 hp?

if it were me i would get a superchip and a throttle body spacer. the chip would give you about 15 hp and about 25 lbs/ft of torque. the throttle body spacer dosen't do much for hp only about 5, but it is awsome for throttle response. i dont have alot of experience with shifter kits so i dont know how effective they are.

those gs-r integra's are pretty tough, i raced one before i had my chip and ran about even but he edged his way ahead at the end.
no, I'm talking at the crank.

You go too big on the exhaust, 2.5"+ you'll lose 12 hp. even with a CAI, that's why it's a 35 hp spread. -Depends on the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Are gears a worthwhile upgrade for V6's?

If so, I'd start there. Then maybe a tune for Premium....

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
If you had a manual, you would beat him but I guess that is a mute point. Gears alone would probably give you the edge over his Honda S**tback. That or a quickie 50 shot of NOS from a dry nitrous kit if all you are worried about is beating this guy.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
JEB said:
Are gears a worthwhile upgrade for V6's?

If so, I'd start there. Then maybe a tune for Premium....
I don't think they're worth the cost and the ongoing mpg cost. 800 dollars for the gears, install & computer reprogram . ..

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
tex117 said:

the t-b spacer won't give you any advantage. You will get a little better throttle response.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
kscoyote said:
the t-b spacer won't give you any advantage. You will get a little better throttle response.
i think we've debated on this before and all im saying is that i know several people that have installed them on their cars and they noticed alot of difference in performance

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
tex117 said:
i think we've debated on this before and all im saying is that i know several people that have installed them on their cars and they noticed alot of difference in performance
well, if throttle response is considered a big difference, it will certainly "feel" like a big difference, but it's within the realm of error on a dyno. +-3hp.

80 dollars for within error isn't worth it.

A phenolic spacer in the intake manifold costs the same but will get you 9 hp & 9 ft.lbs.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
kscoyote said:
well, if throttle response is considered a big difference, it will certainly "feel" like a big difference, but it's within the realm of error on a dyno. +-3hp.

80 dollars for within error isn't worth it.

A phenolic spacer in the intake manifold costs the same but will get you 9 hp & 9 ft.lbs.
a phenolic spacer? never heard of it. where can you find one of these and if its in the intake manifold of hard is it to install

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
tex117 said:
a phenolic spacer? never heard of it. where can you find one of these and if its in the intake manifold of hard is it to install
Flex used to sell em, Morana does now.

It's pretty simple, you remove the upper intake manifold, install gasket, install spacer, another gasket, then reinstall the manifold.

I think the optimum spacer is 0.75" but shoot Flex a PM and see if he still has any.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a 2.25 inch Exhause it comes out of the exhaust manifold and never cross... i has a MAC CIA... now i have dropped the car 2"... not that it will help... but i think im going to go with the pulleys, and maybe a diablo programmer

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Kmagn13 said:
I have a 2.25 inch Exhause it comes out of the exhaust manifold and never cross... i has a MAC CIA... now i have dropped the car 2"... not that it will help... but i think im going to go with the pulleys, and maybe a diablo programmer
you should install a h-pipe for the 3-4 6-1 firing, it'll help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.