Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...in this case.

My car came in, and there is a tiny, and I mean tiny, ding in the hood down along the seam between fender, and hood, right near the front. It measures all of 2mm x 1mm, and very shallow. It occurred before paint, so the factory paint over it is perfect. It really is almost imperceptible. If I gave you an hour to find it without telling you where it was, you'd be very, very hard pressed to see it. The only reason it was found was that my dealer had never had a Lava Red 'stang in, and after they cleaned it up EVERYONE was outside checking it out.

They are having a "paint-less dent repair guy" look at it today, but between my knowledge, and the dealers body shop foreman, we're in agreement that any repair that breaks the seal on the factory paint is something we don't want.

So all that said... What would you ask the dealer for in compensation for a ding? Would you even ask for anything? Would you have it fixed no matter what?

I was thinking maybe a couple oil changes, and a set of nice all season floor mats?

·
Super Moderator
2,385 Posts
What you are thinking and what they are going to tell you are night and day apart,nothing is perfect just drive it and be happy,otherwise I think you are out of luck.The fix might not look as nice as it did from the factory.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Always ask for something, even if there was no ding, the dealer has already raped you so get all you can get. Floor mats would be a nice touch. Do not fix ding, you will turn a small problem into a big one.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
^ Or it could look better?

I think if the dealer is understanding, which they do sound like from what you've said, ask 'em to throw in a few freebies. Worst thing they can say is no, but it'll probably work out to be cheaper for them this way then to send it to a body shop for a full repair. Which is something you could ask for seeing as how it's a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In a thousand miles you'll have a bunch of paint chips in the front fascia and hood from road debris. Forget about it and just drive.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
LOL. I picked mine up on Monday morning and drove 400+ miles to get home. The outcome was one small rock chip from a truck. I found it when I did the detailing yesterday. It is what it is...:laugh:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Picture? Really hard to say without a picture.

Lava Red is a color I'd really be scared of a blend on. If the repaint was going to be anything less than the entire hood I don't think I'd want that. That's not without risk either though. The way you've described it sounds like it would be better to leave it alone.

Not sure about the bonus items...

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't know how much it would cost to fix it, but something south of that is what I'd ask for in freebies. You yourself said that it would take someone forever to try to find it without pointing it out; so, the question is can YOU live with it?

If you can, I would leave it as is and ask for some free stuff. I would think that the floor mats plus oil changes will still be cheaper for them than trying to fix the paint, and I agree with others that you will probably turn a small problem into a potentially bigger problem.

If you can't live with it, can you not refuse the order and start again?

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Right after I bought mine, I parked it right into the dealer's cement parking barrier and scuffed the paint on the bottom of the front fascia. Since then road rash and bugs have taken over. One day a stray shopping cart will visit. If they offer a free oil change or something, that's cool. Otherwise, stuff is gonna happen. It's on every car out there.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ask for a couple oil changes. They are worth money to you but don't cost the dealer anything.

Talk to the paintless dent removal guy. He should be able to tell you how much value he can really add. I have been really impressed in the past.

I guarantee you that if you get too worked up about this, you'll get a roof full of hail damage. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
At least you noticed it. I bought my car with a ding on the drivers side door. Didn't notice it til a week later :(

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know how much it would cost to fix it, but something south of that is what I'd ask for in freebies. You yourself said that it would take someone forever to try to find it without pointing it out; so, the question is can YOU live with it?

If you can, I would leave it as is and ask for some free stuff. I would think that the floor mats plus oil changes will still be cheaper for them than trying to fix the paint, and I agree with others that you will probably turn a small problem into a potentially bigger problem.

If you can't live with it, can you not refuse the order and start again?
Already signed the paperwork. No way I'd refuse the order as:
1) You can't order Lava Red paint anymore (for now)
2) You can't order Elec Pkg anymore (for now)

Ask for a couple oil changes. They are worth money to you but don't cost the dealer anything.

Talk to the paintless dent removal guy. He should be able to tell you how much value he can really add. I have been really impressed in the past.

I guarantee you that if you get too worked up about this, you'll get a roof full of hail damage. :)
Not worked up in the least, I actually wanted to just take the car, but it's really the dealership pushing to make it right. They insisted on having a guy come look at it. I like that (although I'd rather be driving the car, I can respect it from a business standpoint) They know not to touch it if there is a chance to mess up the paint.

At least you noticed it. I bought my car with a ding on the drivers side door. Didn't notice it til a week later :(
That sucks, and I didn't notice it, one of the other salesman did and told my guy who told me. If he'd have said nothing I never would have seen it. Really a good experience with them, I have nothing bad to say about them at all.

I was just really curious as to what other folks in my position would do.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tell them to do a paintless dent repair.
That's the guy that's looking at it. But it's so small, and in a bad place to get behind it, I'm not sure it's a viable option.
Should be getting a phone call "soon".

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
if they cant paintless repair it, a free programable key. your cost $100 their cost $33=win/win

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found a tiny dent on front fender. They fixed and gave me $500 off the price of the car. Looks great to me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's the guy that's looking at it. But it's so small, and in a bad place to get behind it, I'm not sure it's a viable option.
Should be getting a phone call "soon".

They have ways to get it out. Have you ever seen dents popped with a weld on stud and slide hammer? They have the same thing only its glued onto the dent/ding and popps off when it's pulled out.

A little extreme but like this:

‪Paintless Dent Repair Removal with Glue Puller.wmv‬‏ - YouTube

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll try and get a pic of it tomorrow, but yeah, he didn't think he could get it with the glue.

I picked it up, got a set of free all season pony floor mats, and first oil change free.

God I love this freakin car... put on 127 miles since 3pm EST. So much fun. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.