Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bough tokiko struts and shocks off a guy out in fremont, because im putting sportline springs on my car.
i picked them up from where he works at his family run office.

i took them into my mechanic today to get them adjusted for me (i dont have the tool to do it) and he takes on look at them and just says "Wtf, these are COMPLETELY blown"

turns out these shocks and struts cant even hold their own weight when you hold them straight, yet alone a lowered car...

so i emailed the guy (i doubt ill get a response), so should i just go to his work with some friends and confront him on it and demand my money back?

can i call the police? small claims court? I really need to know because im a very honest guy and would never do SH** like that to someone else, but he basically stole $175 of my money.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Small Claims

If he does not make good your exchange, you only recourse it to take him to Small Claims. But there would would have to prove that the items were misrepresented and that you didn't agree on an as is sale. Good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If I were you, and they are for sure 110% bad.

Contact your local authorities. Have them go to the family business with you, and tell them you want it refunded. That way there will be NO issues, that could cause a fight etc.

With a cop there, it also might make them feel more of an urge to give your money back, then to come up with excuses.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
i would go back and ask for a refund but i would do it politely. most people respond better to someone being nice than a ****. But if he says no, i would say fine and call the cops.

R

·
0 Posts
i blame you for not checking them out before you handed over the money since you picked them up in person

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i blame you for not checking them out before you handed over the money since you picked them up in person

thankyou for that kind after thought...

ive only been recently learning how to wrench on my car and would have in a million years never known how to detect something like that...

you learn from your mistakes and i certainly have learned haven't i?

R

·
0 Posts
don't get me wrong the other person is a POS for selling something that was defected....

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
be polite. if it doesn't work then bring the cops

R

·
0 Posts
the police can do nothing in this case.....

he brought a as-is used part.....

and had the opportunity to inspect them.....

sadly to say he was taught an expensive lesson.....

moral of the story if don't know what you are looking at

buy it new from reputable vendor......

·
Registered
240 Posts
Unless the guy gave you a bad check, or stolen parts, calling the cops will only waste your time.
1) go to him in person, with a friend or 2 with you. The more the better. Nicely explain the problem and ask him what he is willing to do to rectify the situation, I.E. money back, other parts? whatever..
2) If he refuses to offer any refund or compensation, all you can do is take him to small claims court which will cost about $60 ( in most states ) to file a claim. In most cases like this unless there was a written reciept or witnessed oral agreement for a return then you may have a hard time. Even if you get a ruling in your favor it is up to YOU to collect the $175 from him.
3) Talk to a local lawyer, or someone in your area that would be willing to give you free legal advice on the matter.
4) Like I said, filing a police report would be wasting your time. However, it may be worth it to at least talk to someone maybe a dtective I don't know. I have tried to go the same route with the police on something similiar and was told unless a crime was committed there was nothing they could do for me.

Anyway good luck with it...

Just my .02

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't know your "friend" so I can't say this with authority, but people (by-in-large) are usually not out to sting other people. He may not have known that the shocks were shot. Give him the benifit of the doubt to start with, and then if he screws you twice, then is the time to get less than cordial. If he is unwilling to give you a full refund, consider asking for at least a partial (I.E. 50-75% of what you paid) refund, this way, he is not loosing everything, and you are only paying a small fee for your indescretion (for not being sure they were good before purchasing)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I hate to sound like an ass here as well but if you are not sure how to identify the quality of parts you really should not be buying anything used.

How much money did you lose on this sale?

Depending on how much, you may just want to chalk this up as a loss and learn from it.

If it was a lot, I would also agree to be polite and try to talk to the guy.
If that doesn't work, small claims.
You could also try verifying the warranty of the shocks with Tokico. Just tell them you bought the car with them on it.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have to agree with Reggie, lesson learned next time buy new or bring someone with you that knows what there looking at, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup P.S. If you go with a few buddies, it's just going to lead to a fight and another lesson learned, CROSS BAR # MOTEL!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Being the A hole Iam I would bring an off duty cop(any friends??)with me and confront him, if this dosent work I would bring a few friends for a second visit. Fear is the most effective tool. In reality he never had the money and you never had the shocks, so a trade would be reasonable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey man what place in fremont ca? thats were im from i mite know that mofo and im sorry that happaned. :yakyak:

·
Registered
680 Posts
It's not like the Seller is hiding from you, he met you where he works with his family. My bet, is that he did not know the parts were toast. Explain to him what happened with your Mechanic and that the part are unusable. Most likely he will say come on back and get your $$$. If that doesn't work, call the office and tell his Mom what happened. My Mom won't stand for me acting like an a**, maybe his won't either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.