Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my wifes Vert home and it doesn't have Cats. 1983. I need to get it in for inspection but need to know if it came with cats. If not I'm goodto go, if it did I'll have to install a set. I'm 2+ years away fron Classic plates, then no more inspections!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Im pretty sure they started using cat's in 79+ models.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I thought they started in the 74-78 "II"s, but if theyre taking your word on it....

*edit* OK, I just went and checked, and some '75 and all '76 and up models DID have cats.....

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Yup, I think that starting in '74 or '75, all cars sold in the U.S. had to have 'em/one. They weren't required on trucks until years later.
Sounds like the Vert has duals. To run an OEM style catted H-pipe, you will need some '86-'93 spec shorty headers. You'll need the double hump crossmember too, if it doesn't already have one. I'm guessing you don't want to go back to the '83 style single exhaust...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
meangreen92, You got it right! I'll spend the money on on shorty headers and a catted H pipe before I'd go back to a single! The headers will give her a little more HP, Not that the wife doesn't smokem now!
Sad that I have to mess with it because the system is about 4 months old and S/S.
Thanks all for the replies!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
8-T-Tree said:
meangreen92, You got it right! I'll spend the money on on shorty headers and a catted H pipe before I'd go back to a single! The headers will give her a little more HP, Not that the wife doesn't smokem now!
Sad that I have to mess with it because the system is about 4 months old and S/S.
Thanks all for the replies!
You could probably sell the old setup. Hopefully the existing catback is compatible with an OEM spec H-pipe. You could probably sell the existing H-pipe, even if it's set up for the cast iron exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, no H pipe, these are stright pipes with Magaflow mufflers. Not legal in NJ. I'm going to use the Mufflers and rest of the tail pipes so they won't be much use to anyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.