Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone...as of now i have a 94 mustang gt...when i first bought it...i hated the look of the fox-body mustangs and wouldnt admit that they were faster then my car lol...but anyways

their look has grown on me..and knowing that there a couple hundred pounds lighter then mine im thinking about selling my sn95 for a fox

now my question is...what year fox to go with in terms of strictly performance.... from reading i hear that the 87-88 engines were the best....but i should try and find a 5.0lx instead of gt because its lighter...

and im guessing stay away from the verts bc of body roll and additional weight?

like i said just looking for advice for which fox i should buy, if i decide to follow through with this! thanks everyone!

R

·
0 Posts
well the 89-92 are your best buy

maf equipped and forged pistions.....

lightest of the group is the notch (coupe) followed by LX hatch

GT and both verts are heavy......

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
get an 89 that way you have the MAF yeah if you can find a notch that would be even better. but any fox is better then no fox

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
get an 89 that way you have the MAF yeah if you can find a notch that would be even better. but any fox is better then no fox

haha thanks.... didnt the 89s have a worse cam though? thought i read that somewhere?

two questions? are low 13s possible with these cars with just bolt-ons...meaning...n/a...stock heads, cam, and intake manifolds?

and whats the suspension like in these cars? and brakes? i would like to do some road racing too...and no...i dont mean street racing...

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
You can always change the cam, the overall year or style is your choice on what you like the best.

R

·
0 Posts
haha thanks.... didnt the 89s have a worse cam though? thought i read that somewhere?

it not the cam thats the problem stock heads & intake suck

two questions? are low 13s possible with these cars with just bolt-ons...meaning...n/a...stock heads, cam, and intake manifolds?

yes

and whats the suspension like in these cars? and brakes? i would like to do some road racing too...and no...i dont mean street racing...

They need work but the aftermarket makes it real easy

Good luck on the fox hunt

TALLY HO !!!!!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahah alright thanks guys...and the reason i asked about the cam was bc i planned on sticking with the stock cam...because of lack of money

·
Registered
298 Posts
you might want to think of some other things that differentiate the year models as well... like if i could do it again, i'd get an 89 over a 90 since they had to add the airbag in 90 and lost the tilt steering wheel...

can anyone give input as to other little things like this that may help one year model stand out from the rest...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm a firm believer in the 88 models....but that may be because mine already had the MAF conversion done when i bought it :gringreen

R

·
0 Posts
I'm a firm believer in the 88 models....but that may be because mine already had the MAF conversion done when i bought it :gringreen
i like 88's too.....:)

it was either 90 or 91 that had the larger wheel opening that was another small difference.....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, that would be great, if you guys could just point out little things that would help me decide on which year...bc i want to keep this next car for awhlie so i dont want to regret anything!..plus im kinda tall so tilt wheel would be nice...but not needed..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really like the 91 - 92 LX hatchbacks. With 90, you get the airbag and 140 mph speedo and sport seats. With 91 you additionally get 16 inch star pony rims and bigger wheel openings (good for going up in size without rubbing).

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im trying to stay away from airbag actually..but i guess those could be deleted anyways..but i do want the bigger fenders the 91s have like you said...

·
Registered
224 Posts
From everything i've heard, airbags are a pita on foxes. especially since they were new to the industry and werent very reliable when they first came out. Lotta folks delete them or just ignore the airbag warning lights lol. :scratchchin

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
hey everyone...as of now i have a 94 mustang gt...when i first bought it...i hated the look of the fox-body mustangs and wouldnt admit that they were faster then my car lol...but anyways

their look has grown on me..and knowing that there a couple hundred pounds lighter then mine im thinking about selling my sn95 for a fox

now my question is...what year fox to go with in terms of strictly performance.... from reading i hear that the 87-88 engines were the best....but i should try and find a 5.0lx instead of gt because its lighter...

and im guessing stay away from the verts bc of body roll and additional weight?

like i said just looking for advice for which fox i should buy, if i decide to follow through with this! thanks everyone!
You're going over to the dark side man! LoL
I've always loved the looks of the hatch back FOX bodies, but I didn't like the old fashioned interior. That's where the '94 stepped in, it looks excellent inside and out! :D

I like the looks of the early 90's hatch backs...

Of course this is my opinion, but stick with the SN. Take some steps in loosing weight on the car (you still probably won't get it as light as a FOX), do the necessary suspension work, some rear end gears, sticky tires, and the right bolt ons and you'll be in the 13's. When I had my stock intake with the headers, and K&N filter I ran a 14.7 on street tires with a 2.2ish 60'.

Think about your decision real good, the SN's aren't THAT much slower than the FOXes, but they are slower.

:bigthumbsup

R

·
0 Posts
You're going over to the dark side man!

Of course this is my opinion, but stick with the SN. Take some steps in loosing weight on the car (you still probably won't get it as light as a FOX),
Feen just because are afraid of going fast not all of us are.....:)

FOX BODY'S RULE....

:censored: THE WORLD

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Feen just because are afraid of going fast not all of us are.....:)

FOX BODY'S RULE....

:censored: THE WORLD
Going fast is one thing. At least I'll look good when I loose though... :hihi:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.