Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first time posting a question, but here goes - I've been looking for a classic mustang for some time and found a car over the weekend that's very close to what I want. It's a 1966 Emberglo coupe, A-code, 3 speed, pony interior, center console. The interior is all new, paint is shiny(couple bubbles on each door and filler was used around back glass), a/c is inop but all components are there. The guy selling it has only had it a few months, he's done all the interior work not the exterior with the exception of dying the black vinyl top white. The car is very clean but I am hard-pressed to find any non-GT or non-convertible coupe with bids over 9000 on Ebay. His asking price is 9500. What's a fair price for this car? Oh, Emberglo was not original color and he's got wire hubcaps covering style steel wheels????

·
Registered
386 Posts
If everything is original and the car is in really good shape except for the paint then the price probably isn't to bad but you can find them a good bit cheaper if you keep looking. Being a v8 its worth more than a 6 cylinder and the pony interior would make it worth more and any car that is all original is worth more than one thats not. The thing you have to be careful with is the body work. If it has filler and new paint than somebody has done some work and it is hard to tell if it was done right or if they just patched up holes with a lot of putty and painted over rust.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I guess the best thing to do would be bring it to a reputable body man, to have a "trained eye" take a look at it. I was just hoping someone had recently bought or sold a mustang in similar condition and had some input on pricing. I think what people are asking and what people are getting are two different very things. It seems some people's cars have always been for sale if someone were willing to pay more than they're worth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wouldn't give more that $8000 on it. Being that it has been filled in around the back window, that rust may return soon. My 65 without an engine has been given offers as much a $2K b/c the body is in such great shape. Being that this is an A-code with a 3 speed, it would be worth $9K if it had a 4 speed or a cruise-o-matic in it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I would agree on the 8 if it is a super clean car.....but 8 for a car with paint bubbles...well they are there for a reason. I would crawl under this car and see what it really looks like ....inspect this car with a heavy hand.
A code and how you've described it.....I'm at 6 on this....it may be a patch work and sell car.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It seems some people's cars have always been for sale if someone were willing to pay more than they're worth.
Everything is for sale for the right price. If someone offered me enough for my mustang i would sell it and then buy another one and fix it up even nicer with the extra money.

I would agree on the 8 if it is a super clean car.....but 8 for a car with paint bubbles...well they are there for a reason. I would crawl under this car and see what it really looks like ....inspect this car with a heavy hand.
A code and how you've described it.....I'm at 6 on this....it may be a patch work and sell car.
I agree that you definatley want to check out everything if you are considering buying this car. Also find out how much a new paint job would cost if you would want to get it repainted. If the person really wants to sell the car you should be able to get it cheaper but i don't know that they would drop clear to $8,000.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Patch work with filler is a big no no for me. If he patched it there (or whoever did it), it is probably used somewhere else too. Grab a magnet and go all around the car with it (that's what I was told at least). Bang on that underbody. Check the bottom of the shock towers, front and back. I'd never pay over $6,500 for a filled car is "decent shape," even if it's an A-code. That's a lot of money for good bodywork and paint. You can lose your shirt on a coupe real quick since the value of an original restored one seems to cap out around $13,000. At least from what I've seen.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Oh, I meant a and c codes cap at $13,000... K-codes skyrocket it seems like, as do real gts. :) But yes, lower that price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Josh, The car you are looking at is almost an exact replica of mine except I don't have a vinyl roof, I do have style steel wheels and the car came with a new emberglo paint job and an auotmatic. I paid $13M for it. I justified the higher price because I bought it from the original owner and the car is an unmolested survivor in great condition and was only 90 miles from me. Since then I have seen several much like it on ebay. One was a real GT went for about $10M. The trouble with Ebay is that you will probably have to pay shipping charges to get it to you which could run up to a couple grand or so plus the expense of going to look at it.

Keep looking, you will find a good one.
Mitchjd2

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did end up buying the car. I wanted a standard transmission (would have rathered 4 speed) and they were tough to find. It has a/c, the interior is all new, center console with functional interior lights, new dual exhaust, and no fluid leaks. Seller did go down to 8200. Unfortunately there may be rust issues that will reappear and likely more than I first suspected. Overall I'm satisfied as I looked at quite a few cars selling at the 5-6500 range that had far less options and needed more work. With 3 young kids I don't have much spare time, It's a plus to have something that is ready to hop in and go, in the mean time I'll save a little money to deal with the body issues when the time comes. Now, If I could just get the idle speed down.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for the advice, here are a few pics. Had to use adobe on one file due to size.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Very clean car, looks like a great purchase and the A codes are much harder to find these days it seems. Do you have the door tag to see what color/trim combo it was originally just so you know if you ever wanted to put it back original?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the paint looks like 7 or Z, but not finding anything for 7 so I'm assuming Z or "Medium Sage Metallic" and interior was originally Parchment w/ Ivy gold trim.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
scratch that, i believe the site i was looking at was wrong, a couple other sites show "Z" being Sauterne Gold Metallic

·
Registered
896 Posts
Z is Sauterne Gold Metallic, that is the same color as mine. Very cool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.