Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which shifter is not notchy and shifts smooth between gears? I found a few names.

• ford racing
  • mgw
  • barton
  • hurst
  • steeda

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've driven a Hurst and I preferred the sloppy stock shifter by far. My car currently has a Barton short throw with the flat stick and ball, and I couldn't be much happier. Even though it's a little pricey, it's rock solid and quite possibly the best modification I've done to my GT. I've heard the FRPP and Steeda are sort of mid range and are still a little notched up. MGW and Barton are the top contenders for the 3650, and my Barton was the difference in night and day.

If you're notchy and have never changed the fluid, you may want to look into doing that as well. I went with 3.2 quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh (about $30) and my shifts were immediately smoother and got better for ~200 miles. At 66,000 miles, it's just as smooth as it was when I changed the fluid nearly 8,000 miles ago. Be sure to check your fluid for any metal shavings or abnormalities when you drain it, as that may sign that your notchy shifting is due to something other than the shifter or fluid, such as the synchros.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jlee. I was looking at the barton shifter. I'm going to check fluid and go from there. Might be a good Xmas gift

·
Registered
561 Posts
I haven't done this yet but from asking around, I've been told that you want to change out the shifter bracket to smooth out the shifting. The OE one is really week. Steeda or Barton have good ones.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I like Steeda

·
Registered
98 Posts
I put a SR Performance on my T5 and like it. Short throw and it slams slick.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My Hurst is not smooth on any level! I want to change it out and get the Barton - (Best shifter on all i have read) bump.gif

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Back in the day when I first bought my 05 I changed from stock to a Steeda (the only aftermarket shifter available at the time.) which made a noticeable difference in the ease and shorter throw of shifting, but noticed some drivetrain noise that came up through the shifter. I have since installed a MDW and find it to be to the Steeda, what the Steeda was to the stock shifter. The MDW is much more quite and smoother to shift. It still does kind snick into each gear similar to a motorcycle trans, but the shifts are very precise and positive. Awesome product!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hate my Hurst. Unfortunately, don't have anything to compare it too so I was not aware of how bad it sticks. Very hard to get into gear, 1st to 2nd is the worst. Also, very hard to skip gears. City driving, I like to go from 2nd to 4th or 3rd to 5th and it is near impossible. It just binds up when trying to shift into next gear. With 4:11 gears and SC, I end up doing a lot of mid intersection shifts between 1st and 2nd and have been unable to get into 2nd more that once. It just gets stuck if you are off even just a tiny bit.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
That's -3 points for the Hurst shifter and +1/-1 for the Steeda.
I've tried the MGW on a friend's car and I was so disappointed at the notchiness of the shifts that I preferred my own stock shifter, which I find smooth and precise. I may eventually go for the Barton but I'm in no hurry to lighten my wallet to the tune of $350 at the moment.

·
Registered
103 Posts
everyone i know hates Hurst and loves Barton. i am planning on buying Barton.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
That's -3 points for the Hurst shifter and +1/-1 for the Steeda.
I've tried the MGW on a friend's car and I was so disappointed at the notchiness of the shifts that I preferred my own stock shifter, which I find smooth and precise. I may eventually go for the Barton but I'm in no hurry to lighten my wallet to the tune of $350 at the moment.
The Barton is smoother than the stock was for me, but it's a solid click into each gear (you may consider it a notch), but it isn't a variance in being hard to get into gear. I can slam it in any gear regardless of rpms, skip gears in traffic, and never miss 3rd.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
this thread makes me wonder -- what IS a "smooth" shifter?

meaning, what do you mean by "smooth" or "notchy" ?

For me, I want to know when it is in gear, so I want some "notchy" feeling, not just mush. But I don't want it to be hard to put into gear; meaning I don't want it to get stuck on the way to the gear, and I don't want to have to push so hard that it makes me wonder if I am breaking something.

I guess I want "precise" -- meaning it goes into the right gear every time, easily, and I can tell when it is in gear.

So, what do you mean by "smooth" or "notchy" ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Smooth like butter is what I mean. Sounds like that doesn't exist, but barton is the best all around

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hate my Hurst. Unfortunately, don't have anything to compare it too so I was not aware of how bad it sticks. Very hard to get into gear, 1st to 2nd is the worst. Also, very hard to skip gears. City driving, I like to go from 2nd to 4th or 3rd to 5th and it is near impossible. It just binds up when trying to shift into next gear. With 4:11 gears and SC, I end up doing a lot of mid intersection shifts between 1st and 2nd and have been unable to get into 2nd more that once. It just gets stuck if you are off even just a tiny bit.
This might sound like it should not work but i changed my ball to a bigger one and it seems like its easier to get it into gear with out having to jam it into the gear .... Anyone like to buy a Hurst shifter?? :heha:

:handshake any deals?!??!?! :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've had both the Hurst Competition Plus and Billet Plus shifters on my '07 then went to the Barton for about 3 years. Let me tell you, there's absolutely no comparison to the Barton, especially for the 2nd to 3rd shift. A step beyond this is a little more expensive... it's completely getting away from the stock TR-3650 tranny with its remote shifter set-up. I currently have a Tremec Magnum XL T56 6 speed with direct shifter and it feels like butter with no missed shifts.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts