Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 89 fox body gt and i dont know what to buy a cold air or a ram air kit( help) and is it true that the 89 fox body have the best motors thanx

·
Registered
551 Posts
OK, first off, you already have a "CAI" kit from the factory. In other words, the stock intake track does the exact same thing as all the aftermarket kits= Draws cold air from the fenderwell, instead of hot underhood air.
The only pro the aftermarket kits have is basically a smoother intake tube, and possibly bigger MAF. I'm still running the stock setup w/o the silencer.
IMHO, a true CAI will add a little power, but for the money, you could just save a bit more and gear it, and get a bigger kick in the pants....
Of course after the gears get "old" you're just back to the drawing board, LOL

As far as ram air, IMHO on a street car, it wont ever get up fast enough to let you see a difference. Highway speeds might help a little but you're still running the risk of scooping up some water and bad results during heavy rain/puddles (unless its some type of high mounted ram like the fox shaker hood). And even then, I would imagine any gain from the "ram" effect would be minimized by the convolution needed to hook it to your intake....

As far as best engine....well, here comes the hyper/forged piston argument, etc. :rolleyes:

Hope it helps,
J

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
The '89 is the first 49 state Mass Air car. It also has forged pistons. Ford quit using the forgings sometime around/during the '92 model year. '89s also don't have airbags, which are something many of us would rather not have anyway.
I would worry about a bunch of crap other than air (i.e. water, debris) being rammed into the air filter. I guess it depends where your ram air intake is located. I would probably only run the under-the-front-bumper ram air system on the track. (This is opinion).
I've got a "fenderwell" cold air kit on mine, and it works real well. The filter doesn't seem to get fouled/dirty at all. I noticed a power increase right away. Although, the dirtier the existing air filter, the more drastic the power increase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
meangreen92 said:
The '89 is the first 49 state Mass Air car. It also has forged pistons. Ford quit using the forgings sometime around/during the '92 model year. '89s also don't have airbags, which are something many of us would rather not have anyway.
I would worry about a bunch of crap other than air (i.e. water, debris) being rammed into the air filter. I guess it depends where your ram air intake is located. I would probably only run the under-the-front-bumper ram air system on the track. (This is opinion).
I've got a "fenderwell" cold air kit on mine, and it works real well. The filter doesn't seem to get fouled/dirty at all. I noticed a power increase right away. Although, the dirtier the existing air filter, the more drastic the power increase.
forged pistons went away in 93. 89 suspensions aren't as good, but 89-92 have the same motor. 88CA cars are also the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.