Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 GT that I'm thinking about putting headers on and a cat-less H-pipe. I just want to know whats involved in the installation of shorty headers? Will I have to take the motor mounts apart and jack the motor? I'm a mechanic, just want to know what I'm up against from people that have installed them. Also, which brands have the best product or you like the best? Where can I find a cat-less H-pipe and not an X-pipe? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
To install those shorty headers your definatley going to have to jack the engine up because theres clearance issues for getting even a wrench in there. I put mine on when i had the engine completly out so im not sure exaclty whats neccessary to get them on while its in. The stock manifolds are going to most likely frozen on or torqued on pretty tight. Make sure you use new gaskets which should come with the new headers. I went with ford racing shorty headers and i like them a lot. I would say your gonna have some difficulty since you dont wanna take the engine out. Good luck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any one else??

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to forget about the headers. All I really want is louder exhaust and I think an o/r h-pipe will do just fine. I appreciate your replies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yea it would def be a pita if you didnt pull the engine. but i really enjoy having mine. def get alot more engine noise and i love it and lil bit more power up top. just wait until you have something serious todo.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If you're only looking for a better sound, go with new mufflers or a whole new catback system to begin with. If that doesn't satisfy the urge, replace the mid pipe. Keep in mind if you swap the midpipe out, you're going to need O2 extensions for the rear O2 sensors. For some reason in '04 they took all the slack out of the rear harnesses just enough so the stock harnesses won't reach an aftermarket pipe location.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
For the money and PITA on shorties, I don't think its worht the gain. I've heard they only give you 5rwhp on a N/A setup. Long tubes is the way to, but they also have down falls. One is the price, about $500. Then the install sucks too. Also a lot of them are in the way of the trans coming out if you need to change a clutch out. If I went with headers I would get Bassani mid length and matching off road X. I hear they are the best of both worlds. http://www.v8power.com/item--Bassan...ngth-Headers-96-04-Mustang-GT--BAS4602VC.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.