Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has been over a year since I installed the Paxton supercharger from Brenspeed and looking to add more power.

I live at an elevated altitude of around 4500 feet and this robs me of power, we went to California last year and noticed a big gain of power at sea level so I'd like to do more to compensate for what I lose running at a higher altitude.

I'm already running 4:10 rear gears.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, the thinner air is hurting some of the performance, no doubt. There are several things you can do...question is which are better to do first? This, I unfortunately don't know - however...

1. Are you running with stock internals or forged? If you're running stock and pushing about 450HP, the general concensus is two switch to forged. This isn't going to produce power, but will make your engine stronger so that it can handle the increased power.

2. Are you running an intercooler, or just the supercharger? If it's just the supercharger, then you may want to invest in the intercooler setup for it. Whether air-to-air or air-to-liquid, I think would be a personal preference. Personally I would say air-to-liquid.

3. If you already have an intercooler as well, I might look into a device called the "Killer Chiller". You may even search the forums to see if anyone here has one, then ask them about it. It essentially ties your intercooler fluid reservoir into the A/C system, allowing your A/C to drop the reservoir temp (making the fluid in the intercooler even colder, dropping the temp for the air a little more and making the air charge even more dense). How much cooler/more dense it makes the air, I do not know. Videos online I've seen shows the intercooler reservoir temp itself dropping by about 20 degrees F in a matter of minutes.

Anything beyond those...would be better left to others who know more about them than I, such as heads/cams/headers/etc. There's a shop down here in Houston that actually said they would put my supercharger on with a bigger pulley, but leave my U/D pulleys on. This would give me roughly the same boost as the standard pulley, but less drag from the system (and they would custom-tune the system). Good luck! :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Texan!

My supercharger is intercooled already.

I've heard the delete plates work really well for supercharged engines and was wondering if I changed the pulley would change much

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would do long tube headers and you will lose some boost pressure, but you can put a smaller pulley on to compensate.

·
Registered
150 Posts
a long tube set up will cost around 1400 and you'll only gain like 15 hp because sc applications don't need lts as much as na setups. I'd look at the delete plates or maybe even a new intake manifold. they cost around 250 more but delete the delete plates and are much stronger than stock. I'd invest the rest in forged internals. its really the only safe way to make over 450 hp on our stangs. and if you plan on racing it dont forget about valuable suspension and drive train parts that will effect your ets more than what any extra hp will.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Without a forged bottom end I wouldn't go for more than 450-475hp. People get away with it......and some don't.

Long tube headers will make more power. At the 450hp point you can expect a 30-40hp increse. Here is a good test:
S197 Ford Mustang Headers - Three-Valve Long-Tube Header Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Delete plates would be a cheap and easy way to get more HP on a boosted motor.:bigthumbsup

A big intake and/throttle body won't hurt but it won't help much either. When my car was making 500rwhp we swapped the stock TB out for the FRPP unit on the dyno and it made a whopping 2hp.

My tuner just did a Vortech car making 19.5psi and 775rwhp with the stock TB and manifold. At 450hp I don't think you "need" one.:winks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I have no plans on racing it but have already installed Eibach springs, slotted and drilled brakes and a Hurst short throw shifter.

I got to ride in a friends Shelby GT500 and loved the way the power came on compared to mine.

I've heard that 450 - 475 is the max you want to go to on our stock engines but living at altitude robs me of power which I think also means it robs me of horsepower and that's why I'm wondering if changing the pulley and adding the delate plates would help for the loss in power due to the higher altitude that I live at.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I'm wondering if changing the pulley and adding the delate plates would help for the loss in power due to the higher altitude that I live at.
You should get it on a dyno at altitude and put a pulley on it that will make 450hp.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should get it on a dyno at altitude and put a pulley on it that will make 450hp.:bigthumbsup
Good idea! I just don't know of any where I live, we live in a very small town in Southern Utah and the nearest larger town is St George Utah but it's at a slightly lower altitude and don't know of any Dyno's in St George!

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
We can provide you with another mailorder tune if you go with a smaller pulley and a set of long tube headers. I would recommend a 3.2 pulley and a set of Pypes long tube headers. Please dont hesitate to give us a call at 574.594.9559 for advice or suggestions.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts