Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be my best exhaust for an 04 Gt? I don't want a real loud sound just deep and looking for HP gains. What will i have to do as far as MIL etc. I was thinking on o/r X pipe and flows. I'm new and unsure of what I need to order or if I need to go to a shop thanks

·
Banned
2,188 Posts
The combo your thinking of is actually pretty loud (assuming your talking about 40 series Flowmasters), but will not give you the deep sound your looking for, but more of a high pitched raspy sound. The stock h-pipe with flows would probably suit your needs as far as sound goes (not too loud but deep), but you won't get much HP gain out of it. Any O/R pipe is going to be loud, so you may want to look for an h-pipe with high flow cats, or 50 Series Flowmasters. Good Luck

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the Magnaflow Magnapacks and i love them. Although they are a louder than most cat-back systems, they have a nice mean deep tone to them. Also, if you put a h/x-pipe along with them they have a really deep sound. (more deep/bassy with h-pipe) I have heard them with the Mac Prochamber and its so amazing. But I do agree on getting hi flow cats with your mid-pipe. Furthermost, this system may be louder than you want, but i promise that it will be deep enough for you. Go to Mustangexhaust.com and listen to some sound clips. It will give you a general idea of what everything sounds like.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have A MAC O/R ProChamber with weld in 40 series flows. If you get an O/R pipe you will need Mil Eliminators. I know that there is a difference in O2 sensors between my 99 and your 04, but I'm almost 100% sure you will need Mil eliminators of some sort if you don't want a MIL(CEL) light on your dash. I have the Steeda Mils and haven't had a problem. First I haven't dynoed the car, so my only performance gain reference is the butt dyno method. I felt a good gain with the MAC mid-pipe with stock cat-back. It had a good mellow, but deep sound. It with the flow's is LOUD. I get a little rasp when down shifting above 2k RPM's, but that is it. It has a very, very deep bassy tone to it. If I get a chance to attach a sound file I will in the near future(and if I'm smart enough to figure it out). I'm not too certain that I gained anything with adding the flows, maybe a little or maybe it is my mind saying "it sounds like it is faster".

-Jesse

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this is a very basic question but I'm new to stangs, when you say catback does that mean from the cat converters back? also when you put a Hpipe in do you leave the cats between the H and the mufflers? I'd appreciate a lesson on this if someone has the time, I listened to the clips on mustang exhaust and like the H pipe with the 40 flows

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, sort of. A cat-back is from you mid-pipe back. The 99-04 mustang has 3 exhaust sections, the headers, the mid pipe and the cat back. Your cats are part of the mid-pipe. There is probably about 2-3 feet of pipe after the cat that is still part of the mid pipe. Your cats are on the up stream side of the X, H or prochamber intersection of the mid-pipe. If you look under your car, the headers are pretty short and don't extend that far out of the engine bay. The mid pipe goes pretty much to the rear of the passenger doors and the cat-back extends the rest of the way. You can get mid-pipes with cats or off-road pipes without cats. Mainly it really depends if you have emissions or not (minor concerns are sound, performance) Any cat will restrict your exhaust flow, even the "hi-flow" ones. No cats = better exhaust flow which = better performance (in almost all cases). On the down side, sort of, is that your exhaust sound will get louder (which is debateable good or bad, depending on how you want your stang to sound). If you don't have emissions to worry about, I'd go for an off road mid-pipe. They are alot less expensive as well. If you feel the need for cats you can always have 2 welded in later.
Here is an example of an X-pipe without cats:
http://www.mustangtuning.com/x.html

And an X with cats:
http://www.mustangtuning.com/slpxpipecatted.html

Cat-back section (muffler then over the axle and out the back of the car):
http://www.mustangtuning.com/stgtststcaex.html

Also here is a link for Mil Eliminators:
http://www.mustangtuning.com/stmilel.html

-Hope this helps
Jesse

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stang4: If you are looking for a nice, deep sounding system that isn't too loud, consider the SLP Loudmouth 2 system. I tried the original Loudmouth 1 and it was very loud. I ended up trading another Mach owner here in KC for the LM 2 mufflers (same size and fitment).

SLP uses first class materials (tubing, clamps, etc) and the install took about 45 minutes. The placement of the mufflers is further to the rear of the car than stock, so the interior sound is muted and quiet (until you really accelerate).

Here's a pic of the install

Totoland Mach

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the 40 series Flows on my car and the sound is deeper than stock, I just put on a Pacesetter 1 piece O/R H-pipe (no cats), and it got 10 times deeper and a little louder plus the power increase is very noticable. I just need to tune it now for more power....:happyhapp Also try going to a longer and larger diameter tail pipe. That will make it deeper too...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info, question, is there any big hp difference between an H pipe and X? The H is not as loud is it?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well its my understanding that the x has an edge over the H in terms of performance, but not much. the volume difference is pretty much none, but the sound characteristics are different with the X being a more "raspy, european" sound and the H having a more " deep, throughty" rumble. I've heard both as most of these guys probably have, and I guess it comes down to what you like. Personally, I love the sound of my Flows with the O/R H-pipe. Nice and deep, almost mean sounding but not too loud, though it is louder than stock. But thats just me....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after listening to some sound clips I like that same setup you have, doyou have mil's and what flows are you running?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Storkdork said:
I have the 40 series Flows with no MILs yet. just waiting for the SCT tuner to shut off the o2 sensors all together
I'm getting ready to put the o/r pro chamber on my car. I have some welded in single chamber flowmasters on now. I'm getting the impression this is going to be pretty loud. Do you guys think switching to the magnaflow catback with 2.5" pipes will quiet/deepen the sound??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the magnapaks and there great, the mufflers themself look like big resonators used on imports. Anything magnaflow is great, flows are 1990's. Get the X/H pipe too, there great for back pressure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.