Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up first off Im new to the forums here. I look forword to talk to you guys. But what brings me here today is this. Im getting ready to buy a 88 Tbird With a 302. I know its not a HO motor. I want what the dif is. This is what i beleave the dif is. Heads, cam, ECU, and compression o and maybe firing order. Now have friend that has a 87 GT he just put new Heads on it and hes making it mas air. hes giving me the heads, ecu , and cam if i want it. Later on will do other mod but just want lil more pony to play with then stock. So if some one could tell what the dif is between the two. And what I need to make it HO. I would hate to junk the motor for anther it run so well.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Im not quite sure, but I do know the 3.8l supercoupe and current blocks are the same..just slightly different, Easiest way to tell it to match up bolt patterns and see if those match first. Make sure everything is pristine before putting the hardware on and sealing the deal.

G

·
He's got a 5.0 not a 3.8. Yeah that is pretty much the difference, also you're almost certainly going to run into problems putting a new cam or someone else's ecu on your setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whats going to be the problem with the ecu. Its the same wiring harness. And if get everything same it should work. But what am I missing?

G

·
Speed/density cars don't physically measure incoming air like newer ones do. They add fuel based on what they know about the engine and it's volumetric efficiency, so if you change anything about the engine then the ecu will not be able to compensate. Also, if you put a different ecu into your engine the ecu will not work properly out of it's own engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So even if i change everything it still willn't work. See what I was going to do is change the heads, cam,and ecu. The heads should change the compression unless the pisons are differen. But you know what all the work I going to do to get like 30 more hp. I could just wait and save my money and do I all once. And I already have lots of work with the axle and tranny swap. I have a 373 disc Brake rear end. And im going to put a 5speed in it. Sorry to both you like that. I was just like man I can get a few more hp for free. Not thanking about the work. Thanks man again sorry to bug you. i guess some time you need to step out of the box.

G

·
Even if you changed all that you would still run weird. Yeah, if I were you I'd save up for a few more parts and convert it to mass air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.