Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had this question because I bought off a '95 MUSTANG GT from my friend and I wasnt really a fan of muscle cars. Until I took my first test drive and boy need less to say I was speachless during the drive. I got out of the car and I looked at him and he said well, with out thinking about it I told him how much do you want. The next day I went to his house to pick it up.Is just I never felt suck power undre my feet and flowing thruogh my hands it was kind of poetic.I just feel in love with the car! I love it so much that I treat it like one of my kids.after all it is my firts car too. So we had a discussion even though I dont know much about mustangs that tier was no way my car could take on a COBRA. Well me bieng the stubbernperson that I am I told them that it was possible becuase I belive in the kind of HP that a gt can produce. so I started asking the people I knew what was the differance in the engines and all the other components. Figueres that no body knew. so I tried the internet but no luck until I found this web site all I hope is that someone could inlighten me so I can start modefing my stang. my goal with the stang is to be able to at least trie to keep up my a cobra with out swaping the engineto a bigger block if its possible and try to keep it as much stock as I can too show all those Cobra drivers that is possible to keep up with themand not to under estimate the 5.0 drivers. PLLLLEEEEASE HELP me someone.:worship

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Your 95 GT stock has around 220 HP, that is horsepower at the engine (or flywheel), that power needs to run the transmission and wheels, so the real output to the tires is around 195.

The 96 Cobra has 305 hp at the engine, thats around 270 at the wheels....so do the math..the cobra wins.

BUT, i have seen many "weak" 96-97 cobras, seems like ford detuned it a bit and some cobras stay shy of those 305 horses. But 90% chances are tha you will be biten by the snake.

Unless.....you start moding your GT :)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
i bet with some 3.73 gears, a cold air intake and a fuel pressure regulator, along with a catback exhaust you could hang with a stock cobra, at least if you were drag racing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As the owner of a Cobra, I can tell you that besides the engine the Cobra also comes with 3.27 rear gear, also the suspension is set up differently. The suspension on the cobra is a little more compliant over bumps, but still handles in the corners. Beside making more horsepower then a stock 5.0L engine the 96 Cobra also revs much higher.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
lxarlo said:
i bet with some 3.73 gears, a cold air intake and a fuel pressure regulator, along with a catback exhaust you could hang with a stock cobra, at least if you were drag racing.
Its gonna take more than that. Put a supercharger on it or full H/C/I. 85 horse is a lot to make up, also the stock gear ratios are in the favor of the Cobra. Also most Cobra drivers always get gears, the DOHC revs to 7k rpm and likes gears alot. 4.10s in a stock 96-98 Cobra will net a mid 13 sec. in the 1/4. Keep reading the forums on what direction to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.