Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about how many people would be willing to pay for custom artwork of their cars?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I know they get big bucks, that's why I do my own airbrushing. And it's paid for itself, many times over, Mike. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Like?

Wooden Models? That would be cool!

T Shirt art? Not for me.

Photography?

Oil Painting?

Ceramic Sculptures for Lamp Bases? Now we're talking.:grinroll:

I don't know, I might pay for some professional photograghy, but none of that - "you have to pay for the prints and don't get the original e-file". I'll take my own, thanks.

·
Registered
909 Posts
a friend of mine did this about 10 yrs ago. he got a vender spot at ford carlisle. He received a vist from a Ford attorney telling him he had to be licensed by ford and gave them a stop business type order.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? I know people who do this for a living and have never had any issues. Its not like we're selling Ford (or any other brand for that matter) merchandise? All we are doing is creating artwork of somebody's car. I dont see Companies freaking out over custom shops doing renderings of peoples cars? :nono: Hmm... Well I had one of my paintings appraised at $1200 today so im pretty excited! :laughlitt I just need to find the right buyer for something like that...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Grabber: I really don't have any insight to the art market (wish I did),but I checked out your work and it is really nice stuff.
As far as getting in trouble over it ,I can't even see how thats possible.Pretty much all you are doing is drawing peoples cars,with their permision.
Maybe that guy mustangted1963 mentioned was doing something that involved the Ford blue oval logo.THAT would probably raise some eyebrows.
Anyway good luck:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks B.A.! Im hoping I can sell some work and do some work for people so I can either buy some snow tires for my 2010 GT or buy a cheap late 90's explorer sport. I had a 1997 sport once and I loved it ( it was beat up, but it got me everywhere I needed to go ). I just dont feel safe driving my GT around in this weather, and my job isnt paying me enough to have "extra" money. :)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I don't see where Ford or any other company would infringe upon your artwork. Maybe if your selling it as a "Ford" type of sales pitch. In a court of law they would be hard pressed to defame you for painting a picture of a car someone owns. The same for ANY photography. It would be like saying you can't take a picture of your car. Bull. As an artist for over 35 years, I've never had a run in or even close. However, most of my artwork is custom designs and not so much renderings. Either way, I say go for it until they make you stop....Oh! ...and best of luck. If you're good you'll do fine.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
429 Posts
fords said you cant draw or paint the likeness of thier car designs which are copy right protected.
With all due respect I find that VERY hard to believe.Pretty much that would mean every car magazine out there has to ask Ford ,Chevy,etc. for permission to run photos and art work of their vehicles likeness in their publications.
Doesnt sound right.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, I think it sounds like total crap... Im not saying your friend didnt get the letter but he more than likely had the ford oval on there somewhere in a large dominant fashion where it looked like a ford promo thing... I can see how that could run into problems.

@ Rodbender: Do you own a custom shop or anything? Im a design student and I ultimately want to work for, or own a custom shop. Im more than likely going to work for a manufacturer for a while to get started but custom is where I want to go. I like to think Im pretty good I guess, I know people are better but thats not keeping me down :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Hello. On the shop...yes and no. My studio is above my 24x24 garage. It's heated and has all things necessary to do almost any type of artwork. What has been bringing in the most cash right now is painting motorcycles ( started doing then in the late 80's). They can be done ALOT quicker than cars and still make it worth your while. After talking with my nephew, we are going to build a paint booth at his farm house location. I've been looking at properties for a long time and haven't been able to settle on buying a shop for this purpose. The benefit with his place is it's out in the country and we won't have to cuddle up to the city for all the permits and inspections. :winks
When I was in college ( Graphic Design major) I remember seeing all the different talents in the classes. Some were pretty good and some looked like a child had drawn them. You know what I'm talking about. If you get written messages on your cover sheets saying things like" Gee, so that's what it's supposed to look like" your good. The other's....that's what "cut and paste" is for them. I have to give God credit for this one. I am a natural talent on this. Straight A's in all my art classes. Never took a class in high school just college.
I say go for it if you love it.:gringreen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts