Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) I certainly did not mean to imply that I thought that you would be involved in anything shaky, Mike, and I sure hope that you didn't take it that way. :)
My point is very simple. To take the VIN off of one car and graft it onto another car is not even close to the grey area of originality. That is a re-body. The A code 66 is a re-body, the brand new body kit with a real car's VIN is a re-body, and this S code convertible's VIN grafted onto another car is a re-body. It's a re-body every time that anyone does it. If a person sells a re-body as a real car, that is fraud, and that person is subject to civil action and criminal prosecution. A body shop can re-stamp a VIN on a panel that has been replaced as part of a repair, but, they can't cut the VIN out of one car, graft it onto another, and then try to sell that as a real car. Nobody is allowed to do that by law. There's nothing grey about that, and many, many people have been sued and prosecuted for this in every state in the country. You can't do that.

People do not like to conceed that a really special car can deteriorate past the point of no return, but, sadly, this is the case far too often. To preserve the memory that such a car used to exist is one thing, and is something that I think should be done when possible. It makes a fun car to ride around in, generates many interesting conversations of 'back in the day, they used to....' and is generally good for the preservation of the history of these cars. However, to take the VIN of that car and transfer it to an entirely different car and try to mis-represent this re-body as the real car is something else. And what that 'something else' is is criminal. :gringreen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Veronica, you are talking like all I want to do is swap VINs, and that is not the case. There would be major stuff like the entire interior, suspension, complete drivetrain including motor, trans and rear end, fenders, doors, shock tower reinforcements, steering, front spindles, etc. Other parts would be replaced with NOS or aftermarket stuff. So really the majority of the car would be from the S code. If I were buying one I wouldn't care how much was rebuilt, restored, swapped out, whatever as long as it was done good (but that's just me). An "all original" car is just that. One that has never been restored. No sheetmetal replaced, no engine rebuilding, no new paint. Not very many of them left out there.

By the way, please don't compare a classic Mustang with some Picasso guy's stuff (just a joke, don't anyone get mad). If I had an old historic house on the National registry could I put a new foundation under it? Or would I just have to let it crumble? My point is, is it better to lose a great work of art or do what can be done to bring back it's beauty. I guess I would rather see a bunch of classic, restored Mustangs out there on the road (no matter how they were restored) than to wake up one morning to find none.

Like I said before, the DMV here just requires both titles so they know one car hasn't been stolen. I never planned on fixing this up and selling it for big money. I just wanted it for myself. If I was to ever sell it I would certainly disclose all work that was done to it.

The only reason I am trying to sell everything now is because my 21 year old step-son has been battling cancer for over a year and is now losing the battle. We have been paying for his medications and things which has put us in dept too far. Otherwise I would not sell these as I am a 69 Mustang fanatic. These are my babies but sometimes things come up that are more important than even a classic Mustang.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) Driveline and suspension stuff doesn't count as far as the DMV goes. It's the body of the car that has the VIN, and, if you take the VIN of this S code convertible and graft it onto another car, you will be subject to both civil and criminal prosecution. Whichever way you choose to go, do it with the understanding that you could end up in jail and losing money on the deal because of the lawsuit instead of making money.

With all of that having been said, I can certainly understand your motivation. I have two kids, and, to be perfectly honest, I can't think of anything that I would not do to save one of them. The best thing that you could do with that stuff is round up the Marti report, a couple of original magazine ads and pictures of 69 S code convertibles and put it on ebay as a display collection of historical value. Ebay doesn't allow the sale of lone VINs or bare titles because, as I might have mentioned, altering the VIN of a car is illegal. :gringreen However, they will let it slip through as an historical memento. That way, someone else will be the one to go to jail. :)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.