Sorry to say but there is a number of 52 1/4 rear end from ford not just mustang/cougar /fairlane and most will fit the 65 -66 mustang
1957-1959 FORD BIG-CAR 9-INCH REAR END WIDTHS & PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS:
The housing widths are determined by measuring from the inside of one housing end flange, to the inside of the opposite housing end flange. (this would be the flanges at the extreme ends, where the brake drum backing plates attach to the housing).
The 1957-1959 full-sized Ford passenger car 9-inch rear ends had a housing width of 52 ¼" across, flange-to-flange (same as 1965-1966 Mustang 8-inch rear end). These rear ends also share the same leaf-spring perch locations as the 1965-1978 Mustangs with a 43-inch distance center-to-center. (direct swap for '65-'70 Mustang [will give '67-'70 Mustangs slightly more wheel well clearance]. These "narrow" 52 ¼ housings will also fit the '71-'73 Mustangs but wider wheels & tires will be mandatory unless spacers are used with the stock wheels to space them back out.
The '57-'59 Ford big-car rear ends came in two housing configuration styles: (1) Large axle bearing housing. (2) Medium axle bearing housing (same bearing size as early Mustang 8-inch rear end).
(1) The Large bearing housings can only be found in the '57-'59 Ford station wagons and in the '57-'59 Ford Rancheros and also in the *1960 model T-Birds.
(2) The Medium axle bearing housing will be found in all the other '57-'59 Ford passenger cars.
Other Donar Fords
REAR END HOUSING WIDTHS OF VARIOUS FORD VEHICLES:
Measured from the inside of one axle tube end flange, to the inside of the opposite axle tube end flange --(where the brake backing plates bolt to the ends of the housing, and NOT taken from the wheel-flange-to-wheel-flange distance, --where the back of the wheel would mate up to the face of the drum/disk).
1. 1965-1966 Mustang 8 & 9-inch housing width: 52¼".
2. 1967-1970 Mustang 8 & 9-inch housing width: 54¼".
3. 1971-1973 Mustang 8 & 9-inch housing width: 56".
4. 1957-1959 Ford big-cars 9-inch housing width: 52¼".
5. 1960 model T-Bird 9-inch housing width: 52¾".
6. 1975-1980 Granada/Monarch 8 & 9-inch housing width: 52¼"
7. 1977-1980 Lincoln Versailles 9-inch housing width: 52¼"
8. *1957-1972 Ford pickup 9-inch housing width: 56"
9. 1973-1979 Ford pickup 9-inch housing width: 59¾"
10. 1980-1985 Ford pickup 9-inch housing width:??
11. 1966-1977 Ford Bronco housing width: 52¼"